Is anyone else experiencing system crashes after installing the most recent Windows 11 update?

Kiki Julia Smith 55 Reputation points
2026-02-11T15:47:06.71+00:00

Hi there,

My computer has crashed two or three times today, and the only recent change I can think of is installing the latest Windows 11 updates. The system doesn’t stay on the error screen long enough for me to read the full message. It briefly freezes, then switches to a black screen showing “0%” at the top, and at the bottom it references something about a “Kernel Stop” error. However, it restarts too quickly for me to capture the exact details.

I suspect the issue may be related to either the 2025-10 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 24H2 (KB5066131) or the 2025-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5066835, build 26100.6899). I installed both updates, restarted the computer, and then shut it down for the night. The crashes started the next day after turning it back on.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Windows for business | Windows 365 Business

Answer accepted by question author
Jason Nguyen Tran 27,050 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-02-12T13:15:17.78+00:00

Hi Kiki Julia Smith,

Just checking in to see whether the issue has been resolved or let me know if you need any further assistance from my side.

If you found the answer helpful, selecting Accept Answer would be greatly appreciated. 😊

Was this answer helpful?


5 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Robert Van Tuyl 0 Reputation points
    2026-03-13T05:08:36.99+00:00

    I have a Dell machine and while the Dell software attempted to resolve the reboot loop it failed several times. Be attempting a F12 start several times I finally found a Microsoft recovery method to restore a previous state (i.e. before the update that crashes the machine). Then I quickly paused the updates for about two weeks (I set it for a month). This week I turned off the get updates early option and updated KB5081277 and KB5079473 yesterday and they completed successfully.

    Good Luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Andrew Johnson 0 Reputation points
    2026-03-10T15:08:06.5333333+00:00

    I am having the same issue with my build

    Ultra 9 285k

    Msi z890 tomawk

    32gb 6400mt running no xmp at 5600mt

    Rtx 5080

    Nvme 990 evo 2tb

    1000W PSU

    UPS UP TO 1500W

    Have to run bois with no changes like x m p or intel boost s200 mode for it not to crash.

    I thoght it was hardware but i replaced everything. but nvme an i checked that to. Note that everything is stock settings no xmp or any changes fresh out box it is running. But if i turn any settings in bois like xmp it crashes. It just started one day ago and this issue was on a running for about 15 or 20 days no issues then it started crashing so i replaced parts and fresh copy of windows same issue had found running just base settings doest crash for now.

    Replace with exact exact same parts. Fresh windows.

    Log codes

    0xc0000035 this code is when it shuts down. Using event viewer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Robert Van Tuyl 0 Reputation points
    2026-02-25T07:13:24.54+00:00

    Feb 24th: I was with a client and the update was announced so I did the update. It took us an hour to restore the system to a point before the Windows Update. It was a Dell computer but the restoration was done by the Windows Restore App. Somehow it started during a restart and we managed to choose it.

    So I went home and I thought that the problem was related to the client's PC. When the update announced itself on my PC (the exact same Dell model as the client's) I decide to start the update. Big mistake. It got into an update loop, endlessly restarting all by itself. In face it announced that something went wrong and it would now restart. Eventually I found an article that suggested I remove all devices from the PC (except keyboard and mouse), disconnect power, then reconnect power, and hit F12 during power up. Then invoke Dell's Support software. Although I got to the Dell software it could not restore the system. Eventually I tried using the Windows Restore Software and that worked. It restored the system to the state before Feb 23rd. I immediately paused automatic overnight updates and called the client and had her do the same. I then checked the Dell Software for updates to the system (some theory that out of date pieces of the system were the cause) and there were no Dell updates available. By the way it took several hours to restore the system to functionality.

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Jason Nguyen Tran 27,050 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-02-11T16:32:13.3033333+00:00

    Hi Kiki Julia Smith,

    The “Kernel Stop” error you mentioned is typically associated with a critical system fault, and the fact that the system restarts too quickly suggests a Windows bugcheck (commonly referred to as a Blue Screen).

    As a first step, I recommend checking the Reliability Monitor (Control Panel > Security and Maintenance > Reliability Monitor) or the Event Viewer under System logs to capture the exact stop code. This will help confirm whether the issue is tied to the recent cumulative updates (KB5066131 or KB5066835). If the crashes began immediately after those updates, you can temporarily uninstall them via Settings > Windows Update > Update history > Uninstall updates to see if stability is restored.

    It’s also important to ensure that all device drivers, especially graphics and storage drivers, are up to date, as outdated drivers often trigger kernel-level errors after major updates. Running sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth can help repair any corrupted system files introduced during the update process.

    If the crashes persist, I recommend enabling automatic memory dump collection (System Properties > Startup and Recovery) so you can capture a dump file for deeper analysis. This will allow us to pinpoint whether the fault lies in the update itself or in a third-party driver.

    In some cases, performing a clean boot (disabling non-Microsoft services) can help isolate whether background applications are contributing to the instability.

    I hope these steps give you a clear path forward to stabilize your system. If you find this answer helpful, please consider clicking Accept Answer so others can benefit too 🙂.

    Jason.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.