I want to transfer my domain from an old developer tenant, which I no longer have access to, to my current developer tenant

Anders Mörtsell 0 Reputation points
2026-02-03T19:51:59.33+00:00

Many years ago, I created a Microsoft tenant within the developer program, which at that time offered a number of E3 licenses. This tenant was configured with the work email I had at that time as the reset address. I have a private domain that I still manage, which I associated to this tenant, as a step of education for myself. After a few years, I realized the Microsoft developer program had upgraded the offered licenses from E3 to E5, so I requested to delete that tenant and then created a new one. The new one was accepted and is still renewed every three months, but the old one was never fully deleted, but I can no longer log in to it, since I seem to have forgotten the password to the global admin user, and I no longer have access to my reset email. However, now I'm using my developer tenant as the lab environment for my certification training and one of the labs is to activate Verified ID for my Microsft Entra ID and part of this task is to associate the tenant to a custom domain. Since I only own one domain, I would like remove the association between my old tenant and my domain so that I can associate it to the current tenant. Is it possible to achieve this?

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Entra ID

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-02-03T19:52:21.06+00:00

    To transfer your domain from an old Microsoft tenant to your current tenant, you will need to regain access to the old tenant to remove the domain association. Since you mentioned that you cannot log in to the old tenant due to forgotten credentials and lack of access to the reset email, you may need to follow these steps:

    1. Open a Support Ticket: Since you are locked out of the tenant, you should contact Microsoft support to regain access. You can open a support ticket through the Microsoft support page. The Data Protection Team can assist you in resetting the credentials of an administrator account or claiming ownership of the tenant.
    2. Domain Verification: Once you regain access, you can verify your ownership of the domain and remove it from the old tenant. This will allow you to associate the domain with your current tenant.
    3. Remove Domain from Old Tenant: After verifying ownership, follow the necessary steps to delete or disassociate the domain from the old tenant.
    4. Add Domain to Current Tenant: Finally, you can add the domain to your current tenant and verify it there.

    If you are unable to regain access to the old tenant, it may not be possible to remove the domain association without Microsoft’s intervention. Therefore, contacting Microsoft support is crucial in this situation.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.