Create a new contact group is grayed out in standalone Office Pro 2021

Carla Thomason 0 Reputation points
2026-01-30T18:32:43.83+00:00

I have Microsoft Office Professional 2021. I am trying to create a new contact group, but the option is grayed out. It's for personal use and I am the administrator. It has been activated and everything else works. How can I fix this?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. AI answer

    2026-01-30T18:32:50.7+00:00

    If the option to create a new contact group is grayed out in Microsoft Office Professional 2021, it may be due to the fact that you are connected to an Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) account. Contact Groups are not supported when using EAS, which is commonly used for accounts like @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, @live.com, and @msn.com. In such cases, the New Contact Group button will be unavailable.

    If you are using an EAS account, consider exporting your contacts and contact groups to an Outlook Data (.pst) file and then importing them into a new .pst file in Outlook 2021. This way, you can manage your contacts and groups without the limitations imposed by EAS.

    For more details on importing and exporting contacts, you can refer to the relevant Microsoft documentation.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.