Minecraft account stolen, but Microsoft account no longer compromised?

Christian Palmisano 5 Reputation points
2026-01-14T18:29:38.2366667+00:00
      A few days ago (Jan, 12th 2026) I received two security notifications via email, the first being that security info was added, and the second being that security info was deleted. Both of these notifications were just labeled as 'passkey', and were sent to me in the early hours of the morning so I hadn't noticed them until hours later. On that same day, when I tried using the Minecraft launcher I was prompted to log into a Microsoft account that was not my own, and when trying to log into the Minecraft website to view my account, I was prompted to create an entirely new Xbox account as if the one associated with my Minecraft account didn't exist at all. I found I still had access to my Microsoft account and quickly reset the password to and added 2FA. However I was still locked out of my Minecraft account.  
      I've opened tickets with Minecraft Support twice in an effort to recover my account, but despite me clarifying that I still have access to my Microsoft account they keep redirecting me towards the Microsoft account recovery form. Additionally, Minecraft Support doesn't appear to let you respond further once they've replied to your ticket, so I've been unable to clarify things or ask further questions without opening a new ticket to speak with an entirely different representative. I've had my Minecraft account for well over a decade, and it's becoming increasingly frustrating seeking out help in getting it back. Any and all advice would be appreciated immensely.  
      
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-01-14T18:29:48.7033333+00:00

    It seems that you are experiencing a frustrating situation with your Minecraft account being compromised while still having access to your Microsoft account. Here are some steps you can consider to help recover your Minecraft account:

    1. Continue Working with Minecraft Support: Since you've already opened tickets with Minecraft Support, keep trying to communicate your situation clearly. If they are redirecting you to the Microsoft account recovery form, emphasize that your Microsoft account is secure and that you are specifically trying to recover your Minecraft account.
    2. Document Everything: Keep a record of all communications with Minecraft Support, including dates, times, and the content of your messages. This documentation can be helpful if you need to escalate the issue.
    3. Check for Additional Recovery Options: Sometimes, game accounts have specific recovery options or forms that are separate from the main Microsoft account recovery. Look for any specific recovery options for Minecraft accounts on their official support page.
    4. Use Social Media or Forums: Consider reaching out to Minecraft or Microsoft through their official social media channels or community forums. Sometimes, public inquiries can prompt quicker responses.
    5. Patience and Persistence: Account recovery processes can take time, especially if there are complications. Stay persistent in your efforts to communicate with support.

    Since your issue involves account recovery and security, it’s crucial to follow the official channels and provide as much information as possible to verify your ownership of the account.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.