Using New Outlook on Windows for professional communication and productivity
Dear @I VDG,
Good day! Welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum!
Based on your description, I understand that you're trying to stop Outlook 365 (new) from automatically opening the next email after you delete a message, but the option to Return to the message list in Settings > Mail > Layout appears to be unavailable or grayed out.
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue.
Regarding this situation, I have tested on my end and I have found the way for the option 'Return to the message list' to be available, please kindly try the following steps to help with your situation:
- Go to New Outlook Settings > Mail > Layout
- Scroll down to Reading pane
- In 'How do you want your reading pane to be laid out' > Choose the option to Fill screen (other options wouldn't make 'Return to the message list' available to choose)
-
- Then you would be able to choose 'Return to the message list'
- Your reading pane in New Outlook would look like this:
-
- When you delete an email, it will return to the message list like this:
-
-
I hope this aligns with what you need!
Kindly let me know when there are updates or if you need further assistance. Any updates you’re able to share would be really helpful. I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing how things are going!
Thank you for your time and patience.
If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".
Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.