Google Calendar Syncing No Longer Working for Outlook on the Web?

Peeler, Lorant Haddock 115 Reputation points
2026-01-02T22:48:27.5233333+00:00

Hey all, I am trying to troubleshoot a problem but I haven't been able to refine my keywords well enough to get a result relevant to my issue, so I am turning to the support forums.

I have an organizational Microsoft/Outlook account for the university I work for that I almost exclusively access from a web browser (which I assume is Outlook on the web for business and not outlook.com, but I'm not 100% sure) and a personal Google account / Calendar. When I started this job, I added my Google account as a Personal Account via the Add a Calendar function in the browser Outlook, and it showed up fine. I had the ability to edit the events from Outlook and the Google Calendar events were factored into my availability on Outlook. However, about a month ago, the Google Calendar events stopped appearing on my Outlook calendar. The account still says it's synced, but no events appear. Past events are gone as well.

I have tried:

  • Disconnecting and reconnecting the personal account on browser Outlook (no change)
  • Turning off my privacy and ad-blocking extensions (no change)
  • Logging into Outlook on Chrome and Edge instead of my normal Firefox (no change)
  • Changing the permissions on the Google Calendar in various ways, including sharing it directly with the Outlook account and making it public (no change)
  • Going onto the Outlook app and adding it as an account there (I can see it in the app, but it does not show up on my calendar on the browser)
  • Subscribing to the Google Calendar from browser Outlook using the private ical address on the Google Calendar (works to show me the events)

Subscribing to the Google Calendar works so I can see both calendars at once, but having the personal calendar events show up as unavailable / busy automatically was extremely helpful, especially for setting up booking appointments. Because it's a subscribed calendar, the personal Google events are ignored when determining availability.

When I looked this up on Microsoft Support, the help page does not say anything about syncing external calendars for Work or School accounts, just importing and subscribing. It reads to me that syncing explicitly isn't an option for browser Outlook, but this was working just a month ago for me. Is this a feature that was removed recently? Is it something I'm doing wrong on my end? I know the other solution is to just invite the Outlook calendar to all of the Google Calendar invitations individually, but I want to make sure the syncing is not fixable first.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help here, I appreciate it!

Outlook | Web | Outlook on the web for business | Calendar

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

Answer accepted by question author
AlexDN 11,450 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-01-03T07:52:32.02+00:00

Dear @Peeler, Lorant Haddock,
Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Q&A forum. I understand you're using Outlook on the Web with a work or school account, and your personal Google Calendar used to sync and reflect your availability but recently, the events stopped showing up even though the account still appears connected.

Previously, the “Add Personal Calendar” feature allowed Google Calendar events to appear in Outlook and be factored into your availability. However, as of late 2025, many users—including yourself—have reported that while the account still shows as connected, no events appear, and availability integration no longer works. I recommend you can contact support via Outlook on Web > Help > Contact Support

User's image

In the meantime, here are your current options:

Option 1. Subscribe via iCal (Read-Only View)

You can continue subscribing to your Google Calendar using the private iCal link. This will show events in Outlook, but they won’t affect your availability or be editable from Outlook.

  1. Open your Google Calendar.
  2. On the left panel, hover over the calendar you want to share and click the three-dot menu → Settings and sharing.
  3. Scroll to Integrate calendar and copy the Secret address in iCal format.
  4. In Outlook on the Web, go to Calendar > Add calendar > Subscribe from web.
  5. Paste the iCal URL and name the calendar.
  6. Click Import.

Limitations:

  • Events are read-only in Outlook.
  • You cannot edit Google events from Outlook.
  • Events do not affect your availability (Scheduling Assistant ignores them).
  • Updates from Google may take up to 24 hours to reflect in Outlook.

Option 2. Manual Event Invites or Busy Blocks

To ensure personal events block your availability, you can invite your work calendar to those events or manually create busy blocks in your Outlook calendar.

A: Invite your work calendar

  • When creating a Google Calendar event, add your work email as a guest.
  • Accept the invite in Outlook to have the event appear on your work calendar.
  • This ensures the event shows as “Busy” to others.

B: Create manual busy blocks

  • In Outlook, create a new event during your personal appointment time.
  • Mark it as Busy or Private.
  • You can label it generically (e.g., “Personal Appointment”) to maintain privacy.

Benefits:

  • Ensures your availability reflects personal commitments.
  • Works reliably across all Outlook platforms.

Option 3. Use Outlook Desktop or Mobile App

Adding your Google account to the Outlook desktop or mobile app may allow you to view and manage both calendars in one place, though availability integration still won’t work.

Steps (Desktop):

  1. Open Outlook
  2. Go to File > Add Account or Settings > Accounts > Add Account.
  3. Enter your Gmail address and sign in.
  4. Grant permission for Microsoft to access your calendar.

Steps (Mobile):

  1. Open the Outlook mobile app.
  2. Go to Settings > Add Account > Add Email Account.
  3. Enter your Gmail credentials and allow calendar access.

Limitations:

  • You’ll see both calendars side-by-side.
  • Availability integration does not occur; Google events won’t block time on your work calendar.
  • Editing is possible, but only within the app (not in Outlook on the Web).

Unfortunately, there’s no current fix to restore the previous sync behavior in Outlook on the Web. Microsoft has not officially announced the removal of this feature. If there are any updates or changes from Microsoft regarding this functionality, I’ll make sure to update you as soon as possible.

Please understand that our initial response does not always resolve the issue immediately. However, with your help and more detailed information, we can work together to find a solution.

I truly appreciate your patience and understanding. If you have any further questions or need further clarification, please feel free to reach out. I'm looking forward to hearing from you. 

Thank you for your cooperation.


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment". 

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.

8 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-01-02T22:48:42.9066667+00:00

    It appears that you are experiencing issues with syncing your Google Calendar with Outlook on the web. Based on the information available, syncing between Google Calendar and Outlook for work or school accounts is not explicitly supported in the same way that importing or subscribing to calendars is. This means that while you can subscribe to your Google Calendar and view it alongside your Outlook calendar, the integration that allows for automatic updates and availability status may not function as expected.

    Since you mentioned that this feature was working previously, it is possible that there have been changes or updates that affected this functionality. Unfortunately, if the syncing feature has been removed or altered, there may not be a fix on your end. The best alternative would be to continue using the subscription method or consider inviting your Outlook calendar to your Google Calendar events as a workaround.

    If you are looking for more information on calendar syncing capabilities, you might want to check the Microsoft support documentation or community forums for any recent updates or changes regarding this feature.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
  2. Andrew 5 Reputation points
    2026-01-08T16:31:05.12+00:00

    I'm having this issue as well. It worked perfectly well for months and suddenly it's broken. None of the other options work well for me - I need to be able to access my Google Calendar in Outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Pásztor Ádám 5 Reputation points
    2026-01-08T20:47:12.3166667+00:00

    Same problem here, very frustrating! Looking forward the solution!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
  4. Dr. Dennis L. Rudnick 5 Reputation points
    2026-01-09T16:46:13.4033333+00:00

    I am having the same issue. This is beyond frustrating, especially with failing to notify folks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments