Miscellaneous topics that do not fit into specific categories.
I require to delete safe search, and I have already submitted my photo to confirm I'm over 18, and this has been confirmed.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I am unable to turn safesearch off in Bing in the UK even though I am well over 18 and have had a account with my date of birth on it for decades.
I am stuck in strict mode on bing.com.
The UK does not require strict safesearch to be on, and I am an adult aged well over 18.
Submitted an appeal using the form but is there anything else I can do to sort this as this is ridiculous and it is wrong.
EDIT:
This has now been confirmed as a bug, so make sure to still make a post and submit a appeal to report this issue so they know how many it is affecting.
I spoke to Microsoft via live chat and they told me they have lots of reports of people in the UK aged over 18 who unable to disable safe search and are stuck in strict mode.
They said:
"It appears this is a recurring issue affecting UK-based adult users: Several similar reports on Microsoft’s Community Hub confirm that even verified adults in the UK (18+), with proper account age, find SafeSearch locked to Strict. This occurs regardless of browser, VPN usage, or account settings, not due to underage account, Microsoft Family, or explicit content laws in the UK."
Please make sure to report it as well, so they know it's affecting lots of people in the UK who are over 18.
Miscellaneous topics that do not fit into specific categories.
I require to delete safe search, and I have already submitted my photo to confirm I'm over 18, and this has been confirmed.
That clears things up, thanks for confirming.
If Microsoft acknowledged it’s a bug, then you’ve done everything right on your end.
At this point, the best approach is to monitor their official channels for updates or fixes since it’s not something you can resolve locally.
I just spoke to Microsoft support and they confirmed they have had multiple reports of people in the UK who are over 18, having safesearch locked in strict mode.
So it is a bug affecting many UK over 18 users, but no idea if and when it will be fixed if at all.
MS told me:
"*It appears this is a recurring issue affecting UK-based adult users: Several similar reports on Microsoft’s Community Hub confirm that even verified adults in the UK (18+), with proper account age, find SafeSearch locked to Strict.
This occurs regardless of browser, VPN usage, or account settings, not due to underage account, Microsoft Family, or explicit content laws in the UK."
If you have this issue, make sure to report it as well.
You can use the appeal form on the safesearch setting on bing.com and you can also speak to them via live chat.
I understand how annoying that feels when you’ve done everything right and still can’t change the setting.
The root cause is that Bing enforces Safe Search based on your region and sometimes your network’s DNS, so even if your account shows you’re an adult, the system may lock it to “Strict” because of your UK IP or ISP-level filtering.
A quick way to check is to change your DNS to something like Google (8.8.8.8) or Cloudflare (1.1.1.1), then restart your browser and see if the toggle becomes available.
If that doesn’t help, try testing on a VPN outside the UK or a different network to confirm if its location based.
Can you tell me if you’re on a home network or a work/school-managed device?
That detail will help figure out if there’s a policy forcing Safe Search.
Regards,
Aron
AI answer
It seems you are experiencing issues with turning off SafeSearch in Bing despite being over 18 and not being part of a family group. In the UK, if your organization has set the search experience to "School search," SafeSearch may be set to Strict by default. To ensure that you can turn off SafeSearch, you might want to check if your network settings are enforcing SafeSearch. You can map https://www.bing.com to strict.bing.com at a network level, which could be affecting your ability to change this setting.
If you have already submitted an appeal and tried clearing cookies and cache without success, you might want to consider the following steps:
If the issue persists, it may be beneficial to keep following up on your appeal and checking for any updates from Microsoft regarding your request.
References: