If that’s the case, it’s likely a glitch in the Start menu. Since the OS is no longer supported, there’s no longer an option to submit feedback. The only remaining options may be to create a new user account or reinstall the system if you want to continue using Windows 10. Personally, I don’t think it’s worth going through all that just to remove a shortcut.
How to remove an app shortcut from the Start Menu App List that has been leftover from an uninstall?
I have two instances of the Instagram Application in my Start Menu App list. I cannot find entries for them in the Windows common program folder in the C drive. They were uninstalled from the program list in Control Panel. How can I reset the app list and remove apps from the Start Menu?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Desktop, Start, and personalization | Start Menu
8 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Paulo GM 72,650 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-12-15T00:33:32.31+00:00 -
Paulo GM 72,650 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-12-14T23:26:03.82+00:00 Since we've already exhausted possible methods to completely remove it, the only method I can think of is to access the WindowsApps folder and manually delete the Instagram folder. See if this article helps.
Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft site. The information seems reliable, but be careful with ads. Research any product before downloading.
-
Paulo GM 72,650 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-12-14T06:06:26.2366667+00:00 It won’t show up unless it’s installed, which is why I suggested installing it first and then using the PowerShell method. I believe the app only has a single installation folder under WindowsApps. The normal uninstall process does not remove that folder which might contain the older versions, but as far as I know, using PowerShell removes it completely, since this is also the method used to uninstall built-in system apps.
-
Paulo GM 72,650 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-12-14T04:51:24.57+00:00 I agree but what I was aiming for is to get rid of its folder in WindowsApps which might contain the older builds that's why I suggested uninstalling it through the command prompt. If it still doesn't work, another method to completely remove the app and its folder in WindowsApps is through PowerShell.
https://thegeekpage.com/how-to-uninstall-any-built-in-apps-with-powershell-in-windows-10/
Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft site. The information seems reliable, but be careful with ads. Research any product before downloading.
-
Paulo GM 72,650 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-12-14T04:25:52.2833333+00:00 If you see the App settings, it only means the app is installed from the Microsoft Store. Try to install the app again from the Store, then uninstall it using winget through Command Prompt
- Run CMD as admin
- Paste this command:
winget uninstall 9NBLGGH5L9XT