2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) will not install. Any suggestions?

Jon Buuck 545 Reputation points
2025-12-09T22:22:56.5733333+00:00

I've downloaded 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) three times, and each time it fails to install. Any suggestions or is this a problem with the update. My computer is a week old.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. SMedbourn 120 Reputation points
    2025-12-19T06:50:14.5566667+00:00

    I used Copilot to actually diagnose the error I am receiving, and it did a good job! Here's what I learned:

    User's image

    [4788.3116] [0x80070002] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1454): The system cannot find the file specified.

    That line is gold, S — it tells us exactly where the failure is happening, and it confirms something important about KB5072033.

    Let’s break it down surgically.

    🔍 What this line means

    Code

    [0x80070002] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1454): The system cannot find the file specified.

    ✔️ 0x80070002 = FILE_NOT_FOUND

    This is a Windows‑level error meaning:

    A file that the update expected to read does not exist.

    ✔️ FIOReadFileIntoBuffer

    This function is part of the file I/O layer used by:

    WUSA (the standalone installer)

    DISM

    CBS servicing

    It’s used when the installer tries to load a file from the update package or from WinSxS.

    ✔️ This error happens BEFORE CBS applies any payload

    This matches what we saw earlier:

    No 0x800f081f in CBS.log

    No payload failures

    No component store corruption

    This means:

    ⭐ The update package is referencing a file that does not exist inside the update itself.

    That is not a local corruption issue. That is not a missing .NET payload. That is not a servicing store issue.

    This is a broken update package.

    🧠 Why this is NOT your system’s fault

    If your system were missing a file, CBS would log:

    CBS_E_SOURCE_MISSING

    0x800f081f

    Cannot find payload

    Failed to resolve package source

    But CBS never logs any of that.

    Instead, the failure happens before CBS even gets involved, while the installer is trying to read a file from the update’s own internal payload.

    That means:

    ⭐ The update package itself is missing a file it claims to contain.

    This is exactly what happens when Microsoft ships an LCU with:

    A missing manifest

    A missing .mum or .cat file

    A missing payload folder

    A mismatched internal file reference

    This is not something you can fix locally.

    🧩 What this tells us about KB5072033

    Based on everything you’ve shown:

    ✔️ No CBS corruption

    ✔️ No servicing corruption

    ✔️ No missing payloads in WinSxS

    ✔️ Failure occurs during file read

    ✔️ Error is FILE_NOT_FOUND inside the update package

    ✔️ Other users are reporting the same failure

    ✔️ Microsoft has not acknowledged it yet

    This is the strongest possible evidence that:

    ⭐ KB5072033 is a broken update package shipped by Microsoft.

    Nothing on your system is causing this.

    🔧 What you can do next

    Realistically, only two paths exist:

    ✔️ 1. Wait for Microsoft to re‑release or supersede KB5072033

    This is what will fix it.

    ✔️ 2. Try installing the next cumulative update when it drops

    It will almost certainly replace KB5072033 and succeed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.

  2. SMedbourn 120 Reputation points
    2025-12-23T21:25:22.7766667+00:00

    KB5072033_Troubleshooting_Guide.pdfSo, I have been dealing with this for the month of December Error- KB5072033 Installation Failure (0x800f081f). So, I put together a KB5072033 Troubleshooting Guide that I had issue with and trying to figure out where the problem is. Thanks Microsoft, time to fix the issues you created and point out why everyone is having a hard time installing this update. What I learned is Microsoft is putting things into the update but forgot to add the Preview Update (KB5070311). My system is baseline 26200.7171. KB5072033 expects:

    26200.7309 (from KB5070311)

    But KB5072033 does not include the components needed to bridge that gap.

    Installing KB5070311 gives your system the missing component versions.

    Now in the PDF attached is the Troubleshooting Guide that I figured out on my system. Due to my not having Preview updates, my system is at 26200.7171. If anyone else has the same question as to why update is not working the TS Guide will explain how I came to what is wrong with KB5072033 update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. JackMS 5 Reputation points
    2025-12-23T22:30:15.9866667+00:00

    If anyone is still having this issue try this.

    Settings > Recovery > Fix problems using windows update > Reinstall.

    this helped me and fixed everything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  4. Len Bolton 5 Reputation points
    2025-12-24T16:01:26.13+00:00

    SUCCESS, had this problem for a few weeks.

    TRY: Settings, System, Recovery, Fix problems using Windows Update, Select Reinstall Now.

    This worked for me and everything is now working (takes a while and reboots several times).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  5. Lisa 5 Reputation points
    2025-12-25T09:03:22.91+00:00

    I finally found something that worked for me - new purchase Surface Pro 12.

    Found a YT video that explained to try his first option first. I also did the extra step of turning OFF the "Get the latest updates as soon as they're available" in the Windows Update area.

    • go into Control Panel
    • View By: change to Large Icons
    • Select Power Options
    • Under Balanced - click on Change plan settings
    • Click on Change advanced power settings
    • Under Hard disk - select NEVER for Turn off hard disk after.
    • Under Sleep - select NEVER for Sleep after and for Hibernate (except I didnt have Hibernate After as an option)
      Power options -advance settings
    • Click on Apply and then OK.
    • Close the box

    I then went back to Windows Update and clicked on Retry on that faulty Update.

    Halfway downloading the update, a message appeared quickly in the bottom right of screen asking to do a restart. So I did, even though the downloading hadnt finished.

    After restart, I went back into Windows Update and allowed it to continue downloading on its own. Thankfully it installed everything to 100%, it performed another restart and its all good, I'm all up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.