2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) will not install. Any suggestions?

Jon Buuck 545 Reputation points
2025-12-09T22:22:56.5733333+00:00

I've downloaded 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) three times, and each time it fails to install. Any suggestions or is this a problem with the update. My computer is a week old.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. 林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
    2025-12-16T05:31:10.05+00:00

    螢幕擷取畫面 2025-12-15 210659螢幕擷取畫面 2025-12-15 210724 Because the previous update to Windows 11 KB5072033 (Operating System Components 26200.7462 and 26100.7462) security update failed, and a few days later it became the Windows 24H2 patch version. I didn't update my computer, but the File Explorer interface changed, and even the dates in the User folder changed. Strange.

    What happened:

    I’ve been worried because Windows 11 security update KB5072033 (OS Build 26200.7462 / 26100.7462) has been failing to install since a few days ago.

    Yesterday, I tried updating again. After restarting, the system unexpectedly showed “Updates are in progress. Please keep your computer on.” It ran for about 20 minutes, then restarted again. Shortly after rebooting, the same message appeared once more and ran for about 3 minutes, after which Windows finally booted normally.

    However, on December 11–12, 2025, the update KB5072033 (26200.7462) still failed to install repeatedly with error code 0x800f0991.

    I also noticed that a $WINDOWS.~BT folder was created on the C: drive. Later, Windows attempted a Windows 11 24H2 repair version, which took a long time. After I deleted the Windows Update temporary files and removed the $WINDOWS.~BT folder, the update status changed again

    Why does Windows Update display the message "Some problems occurred while installing updates, but we'll try again later" whenever my laptop restarts? If you continue to see this message and want to search the internet or contact support for more information, this might help: (0x80070002) What's going on?

    It means that the installation error doesn't appear as long as the computer is turned on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Shekhar Kumar 0 Reputation points
    2025-12-16T15:28:38.4566667+00:00

    Sync date and time , after that install the update and it should get installed, worked in mine Zeb nbc 4s . Here is the sequence of actions for those new to windows : settings app-> Time & language -> Date & time -> Additional settings and there click on Sync now.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Shekhar Kumar 0 Reputation points
    2025-12-16T15:37:19.8866667+00:00

    Update date and time settings from the settings app

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Mulldog 30 Reputation points
    2025-12-16T15:44:53.8533333+00:00

    Will Microsoft be issuing a fix for this soon? I did a reset, and it took me ages to get my drivers and my printer working again.

    I'm not very tech-savvy, so I won't be trying anything else that eats into my working day.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.

  5. 林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
    2025-12-17T09:28:27.5+00:00

    Hopefully, Microsoft can resolve the installation failure issue of the December 2025 security update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) by early next year, allowing us to install the update smoothly. Stop focusing solely on AI development; start solving problems. Microsoft seems inadequate in this regard.

    I was also able to successfully upgrade to 25H2My laptop runs Windows 24H2.

    OS configuration: 26100.7309

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.