2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) will not install. Any suggestions?

Jon Buuck 545 Reputation points
2025-12-09T22:22:56.5733333+00:00

I've downloaded 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) three times, and each time it fails to install. Any suggestions or is this a problem with the update. My computer is a week old.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Naatu 15 Reputation points
    2025-12-12T14:55:32.0033333+00:00

    I finally solved the problem 🎉 I tried many different things before I stumbled on this solution:

    • Press WIN + R → run optionalfeatures.exe
    • Enable .NET Framework 3.5 and install it
    • Restart your PC
    • After the reboot, click Retry on the update
    • It will go to 100% and then require another restart

    After the second restart, the update 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) finally installed successfully!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Yoram Burg 130 Reputation points
    2025-12-12T18:00:18.73+00:00

    SOLVED: used "Reset" then - "Fix Problems Using Windows Update" - it reinstalled 25H2, didn't have to reinstall anything - problem solved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  3. Jay Stern 5 Reputation points
    2025-12-13T02:53:40.8766667+00:00

    FIXED!!! As per Ramesh Srinivasan, Volunteer Moderator, post above on Dec 11th: I tried every repair mentioned in this thread, including a manual installation, but the KB5072033 Security Update still failed every time I attempted it. So I bit the bullet and finally followed his post's repair suggestion and reinstalled Windows (without disturbing my programs and data) using his 'Fix problems using Windows Update' option. It worked. The KB5072033 update is no longer appearing on Windows Update. Much thanks, Ramesh!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  4. Tristan T 10 Reputation points
    2025-12-13T04:14:35.5966667+00:00

    Hi! I was having the same issue! What has always fixed this issue for me is looking in the search bar and looking up "recovery options", once you select that find "Fix problems using Windows Update" and click "Reinstall now". This will reinstall ur current version of windows. You will not lose any files or apps. I had to do this twice already because of windows.

    Was this answer helpful?


  5. 林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
    2025-12-13T05:40:35.48+00:00

    My solution was to go to System > Recovery > Fix this problem with Windows Update. Then I got the message "Windows 11 version 24H2 (Repair Release)." This probably doesn't mean the version is being reset; it means the previously installed version wasn't installed correctly.It still doesn't work. A folder named $window.bt has appeared in the C drive.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.