2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) will not install. Any suggestions?

Jon Buuck 545 Reputation points
2025-12-09T22:22:56.5733333+00:00

I've downloaded 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) three times, and each time it fails to install. Any suggestions or is this a problem with the update. My computer is a week old.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Shekhar Kumar 0 Reputation points
    2025-12-16T15:28:38.4566667+00:00

    Sync date and time , after that install the update and it should get installed, worked in mine Zeb nbc 4s . Here is the sequence of actions for those new to windows : settings app-> Time & language -> Date & time -> Additional settings and there click on Sync now.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. 林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
    2025-12-16T05:31:10.05+00:00

    螢幕擷取畫面 2025-12-15 210659螢幕擷取畫面 2025-12-15 210724 Because the previous update to Windows 11 KB5072033 (Operating System Components 26200.7462 and 26100.7462) security update failed, and a few days later it became the Windows 24H2 patch version. I didn't update my computer, but the File Explorer interface changed, and even the dates in the User folder changed. Strange.

    What happened:

    I’ve been worried because Windows 11 security update KB5072033 (OS Build 26200.7462 / 26100.7462) has been failing to install since a few days ago.

    Yesterday, I tried updating again. After restarting, the system unexpectedly showed “Updates are in progress. Please keep your computer on.” It ran for about 20 minutes, then restarted again. Shortly after rebooting, the same message appeared once more and ran for about 3 minutes, after which Windows finally booted normally.

    However, on December 11–12, 2025, the update KB5072033 (26200.7462) still failed to install repeatedly with error code 0x800f0991.

    I also noticed that a $WINDOWS.~BT folder was created on the C: drive. Later, Windows attempted a Windows 11 24H2 repair version, which took a long time. After I deleted the Windows Update temporary files and removed the $WINDOWS.~BT folder, the update status changed again

    Why does Windows Update display the message "Some problems occurred while installing updates, but we'll try again later" whenever my laptop restarts? If you continue to see this message and want to search the internet or contact support for more information, this might help: (0x80070002) What's going on?

    It means that the installation error doesn't appear as long as the computer is turned on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Bart Legeland 0 Reputation points
    2025-12-15T12:50:05.6+00:00

    I did have the same issue with downloading kb5072033 from the catalog.update.microsoft.com for offline install. I could fix it by downloading the mentioned kb5043080 also and placing both hotfixes in a single directory (C:\Temp\Hotfix). Now start a command prompt as administrator and run this command (notice the Packagepath)

    C:\Windows\System32\Dism.exe /Online /NoRestart /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\Temp\Hotfix /IgnoreCheck Ignore the error on the first hotfix. Unfortunately, I need to run hotfix kb5072033 twice (after reboot) to get the SSU and hotfix installed, so extracting the 4 GB again! So it takes a while. Check installation with Powershell command: Get-Hotfix

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Thomas Issakainen 0 Reputation points
    2025-12-14T10:00:51.33+00:00

    The reason I performed a clean reinstallation of Windows was that the recovery option “Fix problems with Windows Update,” which installs 2H25, also failed, as did updates KB5070311 and KB5072033. The recovery option for fixing Windows Update issues also failed. However, be cautious if you perform a clean reinstallation of Windows and make sure to download the chipset, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth drivers to a USB flash drive in advance, as drivers may be missing after a clean Windows installation. This is a very common issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  5. Nikos Mikroulis 0 Reputation points
    2025-12-14T10:00:21.5466667+00:00

    Hello to everyone. So i had exactly the same problem with this update (KB5072033) (26200.7462). I watched all of your comments and i did only one thing yesterday. I reinstalled (Windows 11 25H2) and today i woke up and the (KB5072033) (26200.7462) was finally back there. Usually when the installation reached 100% it was failing but this time it's completely done!! So thanks to all for your info and tips!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.