2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) will not install. Any suggestions?

Jon Buuck 545 Reputation points
2025-12-09T22:22:56.5733333+00:00

I've downloaded 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) three times, and each time it fails to install. Any suggestions or is this a problem with the update. My computer is a week old.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Florio 0 Reputation points
    2026-01-01T17:59:07.4633333+00:00

    Hello Jon Buuck,

    I also have a new laptop, and up until last week had the same problem (which, it turns out, was linked to an issue with the mute light on my HP Envy). I fixed both problems by going to the link provided by Ramesh Srinivasan on this forum. I hope it can be of help:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-issues-by-reinstalling-the-current-version-of-windows-497ac6da-7cac-4641-82a5-f50398d879a0

    Florio

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Ralph M 25 Reputation points
    2025-12-26T22:09:05.0633333+00:00

    It looks like the digital signature of KB5072033 is invalid. After downloading it from the Microsoft Update Catalog and trying to install it manually, Windows Defender displays a message saying that the program is from an unknown source. If you try to run it anyway, the program crashes with an error saying it can't verify the digital signature for the file.

    windows_update

    When examining the digital signature of the file, it says the digital signature is not valid:
    signature_invalid

    This most likely means that the one that is being downloaded for auto installation via Windows Update also has this problem and it can't be resolved until Microsoft fixes the digital signature issue.

    Hope this helps!

    -Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Lisa 5 Reputation points
    2025-12-25T09:03:22.91+00:00

    I finally found something that worked for me - new purchase Surface Pro 12.

    Found a YT video that explained to try his first option first. I also did the extra step of turning OFF the "Get the latest updates as soon as they're available" in the Windows Update area.

    • go into Control Panel
    • View By: change to Large Icons
    • Select Power Options
    • Under Balanced - click on Change plan settings
    • Click on Change advanced power settings
    • Under Hard disk - select NEVER for Turn off hard disk after.
    • Under Sleep - select NEVER for Sleep after and for Hibernate (except I didnt have Hibernate After as an option)
      Power options -advance settings
    • Click on Apply and then OK.
    • Close the box

    I then went back to Windows Update and clicked on Retry on that faulty Update.

    Halfway downloading the update, a message appeared quickly in the bottom right of screen asking to do a restart. So I did, even though the downloading hadnt finished.

    After restart, I went back into Windows Update and allowed it to continue downloading on its own. Thankfully it installed everything to 100%, it performed another restart and its all good, I'm all up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  4. Len Bolton 5 Reputation points
    2025-12-24T16:01:26.13+00:00

    SUCCESS, had this problem for a few weeks.

    TRY: Settings, System, Recovery, Fix problems using Windows Update, Select Reinstall Now.

    This worked for me and everything is now working (takes a while and reboots several times).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  5. JackMS 5 Reputation points
    2025-12-23T22:30:15.9866667+00:00

    If anyone is still having this issue try this.

    Settings > Recovery > Fix problems using windows update > Reinstall.

    this helped me and fixed everything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.