2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) will not install. Any suggestions?

Jon Buuck 545 Reputation points
2025-12-09T22:22:56.5733333+00:00

I've downloaded 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) three times, and each time it fails to install. Any suggestions or is this a problem with the update. My computer is a week old.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Yvan Rossier 20 Reputation points
    2026-01-18T14:59:31.41+00:00

    The latest Microsoft updates are a complete disaster. Many servers are no longer being updated (windows 2025), there are slowdowns, and even if a system passes, it takes 2-3 hours to install. This is becoming unacceptable!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Warranty Screw 0 Reputation points
    2026-01-15T14:40:47.8666667+00:00

    FIXED !!!
    Briefly : If your hardware offers UEFI and BIOS boot options but you are still using BIOS booting prepare the OS to UEFI and then modify the BIOS settings to boot in UEFI mode. The update will succeed.

    I have had continues failures installing KB5072033, trying to update Windows 11 25H2 on a Dell Latitude E6510 (yes, an unsupported HW). The update caused the system to constantly repeat attempts to boot (keep rebooting) while trying to finalize the changes. I had waited for the KB5074109 to solve the situation but the problem remained the same. I need to note that I have several 'unsupported' desktop and laptops with Windows 11 update succeeding the update, but all these don't have a feature for UEFI boot in the BIOS. That laptop does, at least in BIOS version 9.

    So the story goes like this:
    i) Booted with paused updates and modified the system to boot into UEFI by running commands (run as administrator) :
    a) mbr2gpt /validate /allowFullOS

    b) mbr2gpt /convert /allowFullOS

    ii) Rebooted and modified the bios setting to UEFI boot mode.
    iii) Resumed updates and also checked to download optional updates (drivers, etc.). I have to note that '.NET Framework Preview Update' and '2026-01 .NET 8.0.23 Update for Client' were also offered this time, but not before I change boot option.
    All the updates succeeded and the OS operates flawlessly.

    I hope this helps you. Have a nice day!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Mulldog 30 Reputation points
    2026-01-06T19:42:37.5166667+00:00

    The release of Windows 11, version 25H2 (repair version) on 06.01.26, has now resolved the issue for me.

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. George Papadopoulos 0 Reputation points
    2026-01-06T19:22:59.44+00:00

    I tried all of the solutions above except the Reinstall Windows In-Place. I did't try that so I can't tell. But I found this one and it worked for me!

    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/5657081/problems-with-kb5072033-update?page=1&orderby=Helpful&comment=answer-12428566&translated=false#newest-answer-comment

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  5. George Papadopoulos 0 Reputation points
    2026-01-06T19:17:53.0133333+00:00

    Please delete this

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.