2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) will not install. Any suggestions?

Jon Buuck 545 Reputation points
2025-12-09T22:22:56.5733333+00:00

I've downloaded 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) three times, and each time it fails to install. Any suggestions or is this a problem with the update. My computer is a week old.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Lisa 5 Reputation points
    2025-12-25T09:03:22.91+00:00

    I finally found something that worked for me - new purchase Surface Pro 12.

    Found a YT video that explained to try his first option first. I also did the extra step of turning OFF the "Get the latest updates as soon as they're available" in the Windows Update area.

    • go into Control Panel
    • View By: change to Large Icons
    • Select Power Options
    • Under Balanced - click on Change plan settings
    • Click on Change advanced power settings
    • Under Hard disk - select NEVER for Turn off hard disk after.
    • Under Sleep - select NEVER for Sleep after and for Hibernate (except I didnt have Hibernate After as an option)
      Power options -advance settings
    • Click on Apply and then OK.
    • Close the box

    I then went back to Windows Update and clicked on Retry on that faulty Update.

    Halfway downloading the update, a message appeared quickly in the bottom right of screen asking to do a restart. So I did, even though the downloading hadnt finished.

    After restart, I went back into Windows Update and allowed it to continue downloading on its own. Thankfully it installed everything to 100%, it performed another restart and its all good, I'm all up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Len Bolton 5 Reputation points
    2025-12-24T16:01:26.13+00:00

    SUCCESS, had this problem for a few weeks.

    TRY: Settings, System, Recovery, Fix problems using Windows Update, Select Reinstall Now.

    This worked for me and everything is now working (takes a while and reboots several times).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. JackMS 5 Reputation points
    2025-12-23T22:30:15.9866667+00:00

    If anyone is still having this issue try this.

    Settings > Recovery > Fix problems using windows update > Reinstall.

    this helped me and fixed everything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  4. SMedbourn 120 Reputation points
    2025-12-23T21:25:22.7766667+00:00

    KB5072033_Troubleshooting_Guide.pdfSo, I have been dealing with this for the month of December Error- KB5072033 Installation Failure (0x800f081f). So, I put together a KB5072033 Troubleshooting Guide that I had issue with and trying to figure out where the problem is. Thanks Microsoft, time to fix the issues you created and point out why everyone is having a hard time installing this update. What I learned is Microsoft is putting things into the update but forgot to add the Preview Update (KB5070311). My system is baseline 26200.7171. KB5072033 expects:

    26200.7309 (from KB5070311)

    But KB5072033 does not include the components needed to bridge that gap.

    Installing KB5070311 gives your system the missing component versions.

    Now in the PDF attached is the Troubleshooting Guide that I figured out on my system. Due to my not having Preview updates, my system is at 26200.7171. If anyone else has the same question as to why update is not working the TS Guide will explain how I came to what is wrong with KB5072033 update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  5. AI answer

    2025-12-09T22:23:07.0366667+00:00

    To troubleshoot the installation failure of the 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033), you can try the following steps:

    1. Check for Superseded Updates: Ensure that the update you are trying to install has not been superseded by a newer update. You can verify this by checking the update history for your version of Windows.
    2. Verify Installation Status: Make sure that the update is not already installed on your system. You can check this in the Windows Update settings.
    3. Check Architecture Compatibility: Confirm that the update package matches your system's architecture (e.g., x86 vs. x64).
    4. Install Prerequisite Updates: Some updates require previous updates to be installed first. Check if there are any prerequisite updates listed for KB5072033 and ensure they are installed.
    5. Repair Windows Update Components: You can use the DISM tool to repair the component store. Open an elevated command prompt and run the following commands:
         DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /SCANHEALTH
         DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /CHECKHEALTH
         DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
         Sfc /Scannow
      
      After running these commands, restart your computer and try installing the update again.
    6. Manual Installation: If the update continues to fail, you can try downloading it manually from the Microsoft Update Catalog and installing it directly.

    If these steps do not resolve the issue, consider reaching out to Microsoft Support for further assistance.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.