I just went into WSUS to approve updates. This update and another will not download in the wsus console. That led me to this forum. I'm just going to hold off worrying about deploying the updates until the wsus implementation is fixed and from what you are all saying, it's bricking devices anyways.
2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) will not install. Any suggestions?
I've downloaded 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) three times, and each time it fails to install. Any suggestions or is this a problem with the update. My computer is a week old.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update
-
Steve Lewallen • 70 Reputation points
2025-12-10T06:30:27.16+00:00 I am hitting the same issue. Upon attempting the recommended steps above with DISM, I hit the following error :
C:\Windows\System32> DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.26100.5074
Image Version: 10.0.26200.7171
[==========================100.0%==========================]
Error: 0x800f0915
The repair content could not be found anywhere.
Check the internet connectivity or use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the image. For more information on specifying a source location, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log
Upon examining the DISM log, I find :
2025-12-09 22:05:01, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=9648 CBS is being initialized for online use. More information about CBS actions can be located at: %windir%\logs\CBS\CBS.log - CDISMPackageManager::Initialize
2025-12-09 22:05:01, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=9648 Loaded servicing stack for online use. - CDISMPackageManager::CreateCbsSession
2025-12-09 22:05:01, Info CSI 00000001 Shim considered [l:123]'??\C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.26100.7295_none_a53f7c7777395343\wcp.dll' : got STATUS_SUCCESS
2025-12-09 22:05:01, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=19828 Processing the top level command token(cleanup-image). - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_ValidateCmdLine
2025-12-09 22:05:01, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=19828 Attempting to route to appropriate command handler. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine
2025-12-09 22:05:01, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=19828 Routing the command... - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine
2025-12-09 22:05:01, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=19828 CBS session options=0x40100! - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize
2025-12-09 22:19:41, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=5984 Error in operation: The repair content could not be found anywhere. (CBS HRESULT=0x800f0915) - CCbsConUIHandler::Error
2025-12-09 22:19:41, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=19828 Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x800f0915)
2025-12-09 22:19:41, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=19828 The repair content could not be found anywhere. The image may be corrupted. Check the internet connection or try to restore the image using the /source option. - GetCbsErrorMsg
2025-12-09 22:19:41, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=19828 Failed processing package changes with session options - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_ProcessChangesWithOptions(hr:0x800f0915)
2025-12-09 22:19:41, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=19828 Failed processing package changes with session option CbsSessionOptionRepairStoreCorruption - CDISMPackageManager::RestoreHealth(hr:0x800f0915)
2025-12-09 22:20:24, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=19828 The repair content could not be found anywhere. The image may be corrupted. Check the internet connection or try to restore the image using the /source option. - GetCbsErrorMsg
2025-12-09 22:20:24, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=19828 Failed to restore the image health. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ProcessCmdLine_CleanupImage(hr:0x800f0915)
2025-12-09 22:20:24, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=19828 Failed while processing command cleanup-image. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x800f0915)
2025-12-09 22:20:24, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=19828 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%\logs\CBS\cbs.log - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine
2025-12-09 22:20:24, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=9296 TID=5984 Finalizing CBS core. - CDISMPackageManager::Finalize
2025-12-09 22:20:24, Info DISM DISM Manager: PID=4600 TID=10756 Closing session event handle 0x278 - CDISMManager::CleanupImageSessionEntry
2025-12-09 22:20:24, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.
Any further recommendations? This is happening on brand new Asus ProArt system with Windows 11 Pro, 25H2, 26200.7171.
-
Steve Lewallen • 70 Reputation points
2025-12-10T06:44:40.1566667+00:00 I attempted the DISM restore health process a second time and it completed successfully.
However, the attempt to install "2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462)" still fails.
-
Steve Lewallen • 70 Reputation points
2025-12-10T06:46:36.3066667+00:00 In my case, it is failing with Install error - 0x800f0991.
-
George WANG • 225 Reputation points
2025-12-10T07:01:06.1+00:00 I'm facing a similar issue. It showed successfully update. But after I click on check update, this one appears again. Now it keeps failing with the 0x800f0991 error.
Troubleshooting tool is no help.
-
Peter Kittler • 110 Reputation points
2025-12-10T10:24:38.2933333+00:00 Same problem. Windows Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) always fails. Manual installation also fails. Does anyone have any idea?
-
DDot • 75 Reputation points
2025-12-10T11:35:08.4966667+00:00 I have the exact issue with my new Surface Pro. I have executed all the resolution suggestions, contacted support and all they can suggest is reset the laptop. Worst customer service ever.
-
Steve Lewallen • 70 Reputation points
2025-12-10T12:47:22.81+00:00 So this is apparently a known issue. Microsoft told me they had a solution, I followed it, and now my days old $4000 ASUS laptop is trashed. Even ASUS cloud recovery can’t fix it.
This greed in microsoft pursuing AI has thinned to nothing Windows engineering/QA and we are all left to suffer for it. Greedy SOBs.
-
Kat • 100 Reputation points
2025-12-10T13:30:30.8333333+00:00 Brand new computer - same issues -cant install update, it says complete then failed. This is my 4th time trying. Also can't open my cloud anymore - seems to be connected as until this update I could open it.
-
Guilherme Oliveira • 75 Reputation points
2025-12-10T14:34:45.18+00:00 I'm having the same problem
mesmo problema comigo
-
Thiago José Pinheiro Lopes • 100 Reputation points
2025-12-10T16:32:45.47+00:00 Same problem here! It goes until 100% and then fails. I've tried 10 or more times.
-
Ryan K • 100 Reputation points
2025-12-10T16:54:11.06+00:00 Same exact issue on my 2025 Asus Zephyrus G14. Did sfc (found nothing), dism (took forever, but didn't resolve), and even manually downloaded the near 4GB file from the microsoft update catalog, and even that fails. Only had the laptop for 6 days, so not resetting it as it works flawlessly for everything else I do on it, so this is something Microsoft needs to fix.
-
Tyler Dockery • 35 Reputation points
2025-12-10T17:13:22.9866667+00:00 Figured I would throw my 2 cents in here while we still have pennies. I have a brand new laptop myself and am experiencing this issue. The new machine thing here seems to be a theme. My coworker checked his update history and his installed properly today, 12/10/25. His machine is not new. I also ran the DISM, which would not finish until I ran it with the Win 11 ISO mounted and had it look at the ISO instead of what I presume is the web. I also ran SFC. I also tried the update at least 6 times. It downloads everything and installs up to 100% and then fails. I am also still unable to install the update at this very moment. Alienware 16 Area 51 Install error - 0x800f0991
-
Simon Clark • 10 Reputation points
2025-12-10T17:34:07.37+00:00 I have similar problem. First time it failed to install. Re-tried and it appeared to successfully install but now it keeps trying to install it again and fails with Install error - 0x800f0982 message. The update history says it has been successfully installed but it won't stop trying to install again.
-
Yoram Burg • 130 Reputation points
2025-12-10T17:50:51.27+00:00 Same issue with my brand new laptop Surface 7 (Intel). Support suggests to 'reset'. Has anyone tried resetting and has it indeed solve the problem?
-
tom • 30 Reputation points
2025-12-10T17:53:56.16+00:00 I have the same problem with a brand-new computer running windows 11 pro. This is so disappointing. I've tried all the typical things to do and nothing worked.
-
Yoram Burg • 130 Reputation points
2025-12-10T18:22:19.36+00:00 an email just received from MS: I'll wait for the 'permanent' solution....
Thank you for contacting us regarding the installation issue with the December 2025 Security Update (KB5072033, Build 26200.7462). We want to acknowledge that this is a known problem affecting many Windows 11 users now. Even after performing a device reset, the update often fails to install, loops repeatedly, or displays error code 0x800F0991.
We understand how frustrating this can be and appreciate your patience. While resetting the device has not resolved the issue for most users, Microsoft has provided a workaround that may help:
- Manual Installation: Download the offline installer (.MSU package) for KB5072033 directly from the Microsoft Update Catalog. Running the installer manually bypasses the Windows Update process and has been successful for many customers.
- Future Fix: Microsoft is expected to release a servicing stack update to address this installation problem more permanently. We will share updates as soon as they are available.
-
Anonymous
2025-12-10T19:14:49.8466667+00:00 I also tried the (C:\Windows\System32> DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH) image repair. DISM scanned my image files but could not complete the repair.
-
Brad818 • 65 Reputation points
2025-12-10T19:27:19.1366667+00:00 We had the same problem last month with KB5068861. I tried several times, but just gave up.
This morning, that error was gone. Now, its happening again, with KB5072033.
And it has the same error code for me: 0x800f0983.
I stopped the Update service, deleted all the files and folders in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, and tried it again. Just like last month, no joy. I did this 3 times and got the same results. I'll bet if we wait, someone will fix it, and never tell anyone.
-
MAYET ALI • 30 Reputation points
2025-12-10T19:41:31.3+00:00 I am tired of Microsoft , if they don’t stop this. Ai help , will thrash this laptop and invest MAC LAPTOP
-
Cameron Cook • 36 Reputation points
2025-12-10T20:18:41.27+00:00 Same issue. Update fails to install. dism, sec/scannow nothing works. Literally just reinstalled windows two days ago, too. Really frustrating. Fix this shi
-
Alex Rourke • 306 Reputation points2025-12-10T20:22:13.4066667+00:00 I'm having this issue as well on a brand-new computer. This is an issue with the update. Per usual, we'll have to wait for Microsoft to acknowledge this is not an issue with us or any of our computers, but is instead an issue with their update. Give them some time, they will figure it out.
-
Yoram Burg • 130 Reputation points
2025-12-10T20:35:54.9933333+00:00 MS in an email reply to me: Good day! Thank you for contacting us regarding the installation issue with the December 2025 Security Update (KB5072033, Build 26200.7462). We want to acknowledge that this is a known problem affecting many Windows 11 users now. Even after performing a device reset, the update often fails to install, loops repeatedly, or displays error code 0x800F0991.
-
William Gabbey • 25 Reputation points
2025-12-10T22:09:16.8833333+00:00 Same problem with failed update on a one-week old Surface Pro 11 with everything else up-to-date
Hopefully Microsoft will see the error of their ways and fix this. I am disinclined to start down another bottomless rabbit-hole trying to fix things on my computer when it is a Microsoft issue.
-
Bahoz Nitro • 20 Reputation points
2025-12-10T23:31:18.3+00:00 I’m having the same problem. I bought a new computer on Black Friday and the update won’t install on it, but it works perfectly fine on my older mini PC. This is really frustrating!
-
Robert Smith • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-11T02:31:59.7266667+00:00 In my attempts to install this update
, but as you can see, I am getting a slightly different error code 0x800f0922.
No other updates are able to get installed.
I am concerned that this is going to leave my computer vulnerable.
Please direct how to get this resolved.
When this update installs, it gets to 100%, but then responds with the error while in the reboot of "Something did not go as planned. No need to worry -undoing changes. Please keep your computer on."
-
Passegua • 61 Reputation points
2025-12-11T09:59:01.0833333+00:00 Same problem. Windows Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) Manual installation also fails. Waiting for a solution.
-
Robert Lovett • 15 Reputation points
2025-12-11T14:46:29.8933333+00:00 I've also had the same problem. However, if I look at Update History, I can see that this update is logged as having been installed successfully earlier the same day.
Windows Update > Update history
Feature Updates (1)
<
Windows 11, version 25H2
Successfully installed on 05/12/2025
See what's new
Quality Updates (6)
<
.NET Framework Preview Update (KB5067931)
Successfully installed on 11/12/2025
2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) (8)
Failed to install on 11/12/2025 - 0x800f0991
2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462)
Successfully installed on 11/12/2025
2025-11 Preview Update (KB5070311) (26200.7309)
Successfully installed on 05/12/2025
2025-11 Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5071430)
Successfully installed on 05/12/2025
2025-01 Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5050575)
Successfully installed on 05/12/2025
My PC is also very new. on 2 occasions I've had MS agents take remote control of my PC and attempt to reinstall Windows 11 in a bid to repair corrupt files but each time the install has failed and the system has reverted to the checkpoint created before the reinstall.
-
Ty Witmer • 10 Reputation points
2025-12-11T17:06:18.16+00:00 I have been experiencing a similar issue while attempting to install the 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) on the refurbished Inspiron 16 5640 laptop I just received from Dell as a system replacement. The Security Update files download successfully. After the installation reaches the 100% mark, the installation fails and I receive Install error - 0x800f0983. Similar to others, I've run DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH and SFC /SCANNOW with no issues identified. I've also deleted all files in the Windows/Software Distribution/Download directory, so new versions of the Security Update files could be downloaded & installed. I also turned off my anti-virus software and attempted to install this Security Update but experienced the exact same failure results. I'm not experiencing any issues with downloading & installing the Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender Antivirus or any other updates.
-
Dain Zimmer • 10 Reputation points
2025-12-11T18:02:25.1933333+00:00 Same as the rest of you. It seems like all comments are from users with brand new machines. Mine is only a few days old. IT set it up last week and I received it on Monday.
My computer is also Alienware.
I'm not surprised that MS customer service is advising users to reinstall windows. But that clearly won't help.
I'd be less angry about this if MS hadn't stopped supporting Windows 10, which is forcing a few hundred million users to replace perfectly good computers. The amount of E-waste resulting from that is insane. They've gotten a lot of hate over that but is it affecting their bottom line? -
Mulldog • 30 Reputation points
2025-12-11T18:49:41.04+00:00 I'm having exactly the same problem. 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) will download every time I turn on the PC, but will not install.
I guess we just carry on regardless and hope some fix comes along?
-
Clydel Tagaro • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-11T20:00:16.2433333+00:00 For me, it was a big problem when I got my laptop. A week old as well, updated my setup immediately. But it wouldn't download, so I tried resetting it. And now it's at 98%, better than it was stuck at 4%. I'll update once this finishes.
-
JR23 • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-11T22:41:47.5966667+00:00 I just wasted an entire day trying to recover my computer after this update failed to install. First it failed in the overnight hours which woke me up and then upon restarting my computer after attempting to install it it bricked the computer and it took all day to recover it, something is very wrong with this updated appears.
-
Võ Thành Thuận • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-11T22:44:40.0733333+00:00 My Surface Pro 9 hasn't finished updating after 3 days. Why? Please help me.
I deleted the downloaded file and tried updating manually, but it's still the same.
-
Farah Kisso • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-11T22:54:37.46+00:00 same here! this annoying several Gigabytes update always fails! I tried In-place-Update with support but it failed as well. they remotely tried everything and restarted the windows updater but nothing helped and they said I should reset the laptop (less than week old with amd ryzen ai 7 350 processor)
-
Gluark Cloi • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-12T00:51:06.8266667+00:00 Same problem. Its very annoying. and I had the same problem with a different security update last month too.
-
None • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-12T03:15:02.1266667+00:00 I have an Asus NUC, so I will give it a go. Graphics, Bluetooth, Network and NPU drivers need updating.
I just tried installing all 4 above and the Wireless Bluetooth caused IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (0xA) ntoskernel.exe error... perhaps it is the root cause, but will get the update installed and report back later.
Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® Drivers for Windows® 10 and Windows 11* version 23.170.0.3 to 24.0.1.1 (Intel PROSet/Wireless)
Update: Failed. Same install error, but failed before going into the loop. SOLVED: Ran the update again and it install correctly! It must be related to an Intel Driver.
-
Clydel Tagaro • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-12T03:18:42.1733333+00:00 UPDATE ON MY PROBLEM WITH THIS SYSTEM: I was able to update it in the end, one thing I did was do a reset on my laptop. Choose keep all files then cloud save. After a horrible hour of waiting. It eventually passed and everything was up to date. You just need to be very patient (took about 5-6 hours if I say so)
-
Yoram Burg • 130 Reputation points
2025-12-12T13:37:57.23+00:00 Per MS - doing a reset is a hit or miss; for some it will work, for others it will not. They advised to wait for an official fix. seems like this is affecting new laptop devices, my 2 veteran home PC's installed the update just fine
-
Robin • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-12T19:31:02.9566667+00:00 I'm having the same problem with my Asus ROG Strix G18 as I write this. I feel stupid for even trying to download and install it because I didn't read the update number first. This is the same update that put me in a bitlocker loop 3 hours after unboxing my last computer. Asus help desk just told me to return the computer back to the store because they couldn't fix it. That's how I ended up with this one. Here's hoping I don't get another bricked laptop. 🤞
-
Joe Ehritz • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-12T20:56:14.6966667+00:00 Same problem. Just purchased a Dell desktop with Windows 11. 2025-12 Security update does not install after many attempts. Can anyone help? Thanks
-
JR23 • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-12T21:17:12.7633333+00:00 It took an entire day for my computer (3 year old dell inspiron) to recover from this. It seems to be working, but my one drive was not updating so I restarted and now comp takes like 10 min to restart, used to be under a minute. Something is very wrong with this update.
-
林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
2025-12-13T03:39:55.9933333+00:00 From yesterday to today, I've been updating Windows 11 KB5072033 (Operating System Components 26200.7462 and 26100.7462) security updates, but the update keeps failing.
Yesterday, I tried updating again. First, I restarted, and the update inexplicably started, saying "Please keep your computer on." It ran for 20 minutes. Then I restarted again, and shortly after, the update inexplicably started again, saying "Please keep your computer on." It ran for 3 minutes and then booted up. However, update 20251211-1212 failed to install successfully (KB5072033) (26200.7462).
As a result, this update was removed from the quality update list.
-
Tristan T • 10 Reputation points
2025-12-13T03:46:44.6166667+00:00 Hi! I was having the same issue! What has always fixed this issue for me is looking in the search bar and looking up "recovery options", once you select that find "Fix problems using Windows Update" and click "Reinstall now". This will reinstall ur current version of windows. You will not lose any files or apps. I had to do this twice already because of windows.
-
林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
2025-12-13T04:23:47.47+00:00 Peter Kittler me too
From yesterday to today, I've been trying to update Windows 11 KB5072033 (Operating System Components 26200.7462 and 26100.7462) security updates, but the update keeps failing.
Yesterday, I tried updating again. I restarted, and the update process inexplicably started, saying "Please keep your computer on." It ran for 20 minutes. Then I restarted again, and shortly after, the update process inexplicably started again, saying "Please keep your computer on." It ran for 3 minutes and then booted up. However, for two consecutive days (December 11th and 12th, 2025), I was unable to successfully install (KB5072033) and (26200.7462).
Each time I restarted, I received an error message: "An error occurred. Last checked date: Yesterday, December 11th, 2025, 6:31 PM. Some problems occurred while installing the update, but we will try again later."
If you continue to see this message and want to search the internet or contact support for more information, this might be helpful: (0x80070002)
The result is that this update was removed from the quality update list.
-
林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
2025-12-13T04:25:24.94+00:00 Peter Kittler I think we should inform Microsoft headquarters and get a response from them.
-
Hasosa331 • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-13T12:28:09.82+00:00 I just solved this issue so if the error is 0x80070306 or something similar you got a messed up files that you can check from your dism.log only fix that worked is using a windows iso file and reinstalling windows (while keeping all files apps and settings) but choose to not update drivers (not right now) while you're not connected to the internet When you disconnect the internet and choose “Not right now”:
Setup is forced onto the offline servicing path
No Windows Update queries occur
No FOD reconciliation is attempted
- Setup rebuilds CBS only from the ISO’s known-good baseline When you disconnect the internet and choose “Not right now”:
Setup is forced onto the offline servicing path
No Windows Update queries occur
No FOD reconciliation is attempted
- Setup rebuilds CBS only from the ISO’s known-good baseline In other words: Setup replaces the servicing database instead of trying to fix it. The way you can confirm if this issue will be solved if you did this fix is by going to C:\Windows\Logs\DISM and opening the dism.log file after you did the update if you see "Time_InternalToPublic failed - Time_InternalToPublic" Then this fix will work on you issue additionally if you see another error not related to this you can go off from there on how to fix this ongoing issue
-
-
Raymon Hamersma • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-13T21:06:22.15+00:00 Anyone else have problems with their internet after the update??
-
-
Thomas Andresen • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-13T21:47:51.5066667+00:00 Brand new Dell Latritude one week old, same problem, keeps attempting to install over and over
-
d s • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-14T02:25:11.33+00:00 when is microsoft going to fix the update issuessuch as 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) and many others
-
林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
2025-12-14T06:00:58.3966667+00:00 It's so annoying! Microsoft needs to fix this quickly. Don't just focus on pushing AI; you need to fix it.
-
林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
2025-12-14T06:03:01.7833333+00:00 Raymon Hamersma The laptop's installation failed halfway through downloading (plus a power outage), and Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) was removed from quality updates, so I gave up.
-
Kutay Özbaladur • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-14T10:53:48.1133333+00:00 Merhabalar benim bilgisayarım Windows 11 24H2 ve bu 2025-12 Dinamik Güncelleştirme Kurulumu (KB5072033) (26100.7462) güncellemeyi yaptım en son yüzde 64 oldu ve tamamlandı fakat başarısız oldu Microsoft bu sorunu çabuk çözsün ya güncellemeyi yapmak da istemiyorum fakat Windows Update zorluyor yardım lütfen
-
Kevin Kinchen • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-14T12:57:48.5433333+00:00 Same issues. Older laptop but updates won't download and install.
-
Rajan Koyani • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-14T16:47:28.6933333+00:00 Brand new computer - same issues -cant install update, it says complete then failed. This is my 4th time trying.
-
Raymond Silvey • 10 Reputation points
2025-12-14T17:41:39.24+00:00 Would going to a restore point before this security update be a good idea to try ? I am not very knowledgeable and don't want to do this unless there's a decent chance it help.
-
DavidWilde-2276 • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-14T21:54:22.1133333+00:00 Brand new DELL laptop. repeated attempts to install Update. It stops at 7%.
I am also unable to install DELL SETUP and "MyDELL" maintenance software.
-
Hamish McLean • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-14T22:04:57.4966667+00:00 I've had this before with a MS Update.
Best advice is not to force it.
If it does not install - it'd a BAD update and you don't really want it.
MS will figure it out and release another update in a week or 2 - that will fix the bugs in this update and apply the next one at the same time.
I have a weeks old i9/32GB laptop too and it took ages to download, ages to install and then failed.I'm not going to F-Up my laptop by trying any MS suggested 'Fixes' - I'll wait for the next update.
-
JackMS • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-14T22:08:26.59+00:00 Yeah i think pretty much everyone is having the same issue with this security update as am i and ive only had my liquid series gaming pc just over a week.
-
mike forbess • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-15T02:18:19.2366667+00:00 You have to turn off windows update in the computer services and stop windows from trying to still the update in the Task manager or installing in the update, be careful how much you turn off in task manager. Then try using( MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab )- (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed-cca7d1b6-65a9-3d98-426b-e9f927e1eb4d)and ( wushowhide.diagcab )- ( https://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab) both can be download from Microsoft. The first one will uninstall the problem update, the next will hide the update from Windows update. ( wushowhide.diagcab ) still works and hide KB5072033 from installing or anything else for the time being.
-
林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
2025-12-15T03:20:00.17+00:00 Since my installation of Windows 11 2025-12 KB5072033 (Operating System Components 26200.7462 and 26100.7462) security update failed, a day later Windows 11 version 24H2 (fixed version) appeared. Why did I buy the (fixed version)?It's less than 8%, and shortly after, when they checked again to see if it was still running, the update was still in progress.
-
Tom Mackvee • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-15T08:38:43.6266667+00:00 Ironically, KB5072033 installed without error on the first try.
Desktop. Asus mark x299 mother board 2018. Nothing new or fancy.
-
Frédéric Jean • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-15T09:56:25.28+00:00 Exact same issue on brand new computer. How can Microsoft ignore this issue?????
-
-
林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
2025-12-15T11:49:48.22+00:00 Tom Mackvee Microsoft only knows how to use AI, it's terrible. I've tried installing this version before and it failed; they can't even fix it.
-
林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
2025-12-15T11:51:13.4233333+00:00 My laptop running Windows 11 cannot be remotely controlled by Microsoft. I have the home version; only the professional/enterprise versions can.
-
Bart Legeland • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-15T12:48:46.4066667+00:00 I did have the same issue with downloading kb5072033 from the catalog.update.microsoft.com for offline install. I could fix it by downloading the mentioned kb5043080 also and placing both hotfixes in a single directory (C:\Temp\Hotfix). Now start a command prompt as administrator and run this command (notice the Packagepath)
C:\Windows\System32\Dism.exe /Online /NoRestart /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\Temp\Hotfix /IgnoreCheck
Ignore the error on the first hotfix.
Unfortunately, I need to run hotfix kb5072033 twice (after reboot) to get the SSU and hotfix installed, so extracting the 4 GB again! So it takes a while. Check installation with Powershell command: Get-Hotfix -
VM • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-15T17:44:36.0366667+00:00 Same issue, 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26100.7462) failed to update. Tried many times. I got a new Dell PC a few days ago.
-
DavidWilde-2276 • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-15T20:40:23.88+00:00 Along with not being able to download the Security Update, I have been unable to download or install the DELL SupportASSIST app on my new DELL laptop.
Has anyone had this problem with DELL SupportASSIST?
Thanks!
David
-
Thomas Andresen • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-15T21:14:07.5366667+00:00 I have 3 Dell laptops, including a new Lattitude only 2 weeks old, none of them can run Dell SupportAssist, it keeps freezing up on all 3 laptops.
-
VM • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-15T21:25:25.2566667+00:00 Fortunately, I'm able to run Dell SupportAssist with no problem.. It's just that Windows 11, version 25H2 always fails to download and install.
-
William O'Connor • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-15T22:27:09.1466667+00:00 Hmm.. I just saw this. It's downloading now. 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462). I had no idea this was an issue. So, now I'm concerned I'm about to own a brick.
-
Jamie Stephenson • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-15T23:52:11.4033333+00:00 I have 2 brand new identical Windows 11 Home PCs. They both installed
2025-01 Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5050575)
2025-11 Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5071430)on initial setup. One installed KB5072033 at first attempt the other is failing repeatedly (5 times so far). They are both running Office 365 Family, legacy Outlook, Firefox, Chrome, WhatsApp.
The failing PC does have some extra software installed which may have installed legacy runtime Discord, Tidal, Blue Iris, VLC, Notepad++, WinMerge. Not aware with any problems with those. -
Hans Bogatscher • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-16T20:34:02.6033333+00:00 Mit Win 10 habe ich dauernd einen Hinweis erhalten das dieses nicht mehr sicher ist, da keine Sicherheitspdates mehr von Microsoft zur Verfügung gestellt werden!
Jetzt habe ich mir einen neuen Rechner gekauft(vor 2 Wochen) da mein alter(8 Jahre alt) mit Win 11 nicht kompatibel ist und was ist nun?
Jetzt können die "so wichtigen Sicherheitsupdates" nicht Installiert werden?????
Warum stellt man ein Update zur verfügung das nicht Funktioniert?
Ich habe einiges was hier empfohlen wurde ohne erfolg ausprobiert!
Das Problem besteht ja nun mittlerweile seit über einer Woche und was kommt von Microsoft???
-
Ricardo G • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-16T22:38:17.67+00:00 I Have the same issues as above. I tried all suggested fixes but nothing worked. I ended up taking my Lap top into the local pc repair centre after 3 days they advised they could not fix as would have to wait for Microsoft to find a solution.
-
Gabriel Kessler • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-17T00:38:51.84+00:00 Same problem, 2025-12 Atualização de Segurança (KB5072033) (26200.7462) error code 0x800f0991.
-
Grace A. Collins • 0 Reputation points2025-12-17T01:46:16.6133333+00:00 Do we really even need it? Can we just get rid of it and move on without it?
-
Corzca Jasmine • 20 Reputation points
2025-12-17T05:32:27.6433333+00:00 I wonder why a paid OS like this has more and more bugs every time it is updated. Is there no testing before releasing an update? So users are used as guinea pigs. This is very unprofessional for a large company.
-
林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
2025-12-17T09:22:40.8166667+00:00 Hopefully, Microsoft can resolve the installation failure issue of the December 2025 security update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) by early next year, allowing us to install the update smoothly. Don't just focus on developing AI.
-
Jaroslaw Malek • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-17T17:51:13.4633333+00:00 Hi,
I've tried to install msu file with Windows Update Installer and dism and still the same issue (my Windows 25H2 after few updates without issues on my new PC bought 2 weeks ago looks to be different version from the image file). Deleting SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 directories doesn't help.
Command line:
c:\updates>DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\updates\KB5072033.msu
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.26100.5074
Image Version: 10.0.26200.7171
Processing 1 of 1 -
[==========================100.0%==========================]
[===========================73.0%========== ] An error occurred - c:\updates\KB5072033.msu Error: 0x800f0983
Error: 0x800f0983
DISM failed. No operation was performed.
For more information, review the log file.
The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
dism.log:
2025-12-17 18:31:47, Info CBS: Stage Progress remap: [100]->[73]%
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Error ICbsServicingProcessor->Process for the non-SSU packages failed: 800f0983 [Error,Facility=(000f),Code=2435 (0x0983)]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Error Staging packages failed, hrControllerResult = -2146498173
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Error CDeploymentSession::Install::<lambda_1>::operator ()(10284): Result = 0x800F0983
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info OnError: [0x800F0983]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info WatsonHelper: Setting bucket parameter [3]: [0x800F0983]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info Error is fatal: [TRUE]. UpdateResult: [1].
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info [Plugins]::Serialize: 0 plugins present
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info WatsonHelper: Setting bucket parameter [2]: [1]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info WatsonHelper: No opt-in
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info ReportEventInstallEnd: ExtensionName = [OS]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info ReportEventInstallEnd: hr = [0x800F0983]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info ReportEventInstallEnd: InternalFailureResult = [0x0]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info ReportEventInstallEnd: result = [1]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info ReportEventInstallEnd: CancelRequested = [FALSE]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info ReportEventInstallEnd: UpdatePriority = [0]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Installation failed. - CDISMPackageManager::ProcessWithUpdateAgent(hr:0x800f0983)
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info Deleting non payload files from sandbox.
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info Deleting C:\Users\jaros\AppData\Local\Temp\B4DF45DA-92A7-4160-A045-9FD5C4448952\windlp.state.xml
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info Deleting C:\Users\jaros\AppData\Local\Temp\B4DF45DA-92A7-4160-A045-9FD5C4448952\windlp.state-old.xml
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info UpdateAgent logging ends.
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Failed to install UUP package. - CMsuPackage::DoInstall(hr:0x800f0983)
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Failed to execute the install in expanded MSU folder C:\Users\jaros\AppData\Local\Temp\B4DF45DA-92A7-4160-A045-9FD5C4448952. - CMsuPackage::ProcessMsu(hr:0x800f0983)
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Failed to apply the MSU unattend file to the image. - CMsuPackage::Install(hr:0x800f0983)
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Trying to delete expand dir - CMsuPackage::Install
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Loaded servicing stack for online use. - CDISMPackageManager::CreateCbsSession
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Info CSI 00000001 Shim considered [l:123]'??\C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.26100.7295_none_a53f7c7777395343\wcp.dll' : got STATUS_SUCCESS
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Failed while processing command add-package. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x800f0983)
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%\logs\CBS\cbs.log - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Error DISM DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=800F0983
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=12312 Finalizing CBS core. - CDISMPackageManager::Finalize
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Info DISM DISM Manager: PID=8020 TID=2460 Closing session event handle 0x25c - CDISMManager::CleanupImageSessionEntry
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.
-
Jaroslaw Malek • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-17T17:52:59.85+00:00 Hi,
I've tried to install msu file with Windows Update Installer and dism and still the same issue (my Windows 25H2 after few updates without issues on my new PC bought 2 weeks ago looks to be different version from the image file). Deleting SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 directories, time synchronization doesn't help.
Command line:
c:\updates>DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\updates\KB5072033.msu
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.26100.5074
Image Version: 10.0.26200.7171
Processing 1 of 1 -
[==========================100.0%==========================]
[===========================73.0%========== ] An error occurred - c:\updates\KB5072033.msu Error: 0x800f0983
Error: 0x800f0983
DISM failed. No operation was performed.
For more information, review the log file.
The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
dism.log:
2025-12-17 18:31:47, Info CBS: Stage Progress remap: [100]->[73]%
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Error ICbsServicingProcessor->Process for the non-SSU packages failed: 800f0983 [Error,Facility=(000f),Code=2435 (0x0983)]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Error Staging packages failed, hrControllerResult = -2146498173
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Error CDeploymentSession::Install::<lambda_1>::operator ()(10284): Result = 0x800F0983
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info OnError: [0x800F0983]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info WatsonHelper: Setting bucket parameter [3]: [0x800F0983]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info Error is fatal: [TRUE]. UpdateResult: [1].
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info [Plugins]::Serialize: 0 plugins present
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info WatsonHelper: Setting bucket parameter [2]: [1]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info WatsonHelper: No opt-in
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info ReportEventInstallEnd: ExtensionName = [OS]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info ReportEventInstallEnd: hr = [0x800F0983]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info ReportEventInstallEnd: InternalFailureResult = [0x0]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info ReportEventInstallEnd: result = [1]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info ReportEventInstallEnd: CancelRequested = [FALSE]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info ReportEventInstallEnd: UpdatePriority = [0]
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Installation failed. - CDISMPackageManager::ProcessWithUpdateAgent(hr:0x800f0983)
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info Deleting non payload files from sandbox.
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info Deleting C:\Users\jaros\AppData\Local\Temp\B4DF45DA-92A7-4160-A045-9FD5C4448952\windlp.state.xml
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info Deleting C:\Users\jaros\AppData\Local\Temp\B4DF45DA-92A7-4160-A045-9FD5C4448952\windlp.state-old.xml
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info UpdateAgent logging ends.
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Failed to install UUP package. - CMsuPackage::DoInstall(hr:0x800f0983)
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Failed to execute the install in expanded MSU folder C:\Users\jaros\AppData\Local\Temp\B4DF45DA-92A7-4160-A045-9FD5C4448952. - CMsuPackage::ProcessMsu(hr:0x800f0983)
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Failed to apply the MSU unattend file to the image. - CMsuPackage::Install(hr:0x800f0983)
2025-12-17 18:31:50, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Trying to delete expand dir - CMsuPackage::Install
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Loaded servicing stack for online use. - CDISMPackageManager::CreateCbsSession
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Info CSI 00000001 Shim considered [l:123]'??\C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.26100.7295_none_a53f7c7777395343\wcp.dll' : got STATUS_SUCCESS
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Failed while processing command add-package. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x800f0983)
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=5000 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%\logs\CBS\cbs.log - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Error DISM DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=800F0983
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=8484 TID=12312 Finalizing CBS core. - CDISMPackageManager::Finalize
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Info DISM DISM Manager: PID=8020 TID=2460 Closing session event handle 0x25c - CDISMManager::CleanupImageSessionEntry
2025-12-17 18:31:56, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.
-
Hüdai Süha CAN • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-17T19:57:24.9766667+00:00 I'm having the same problem. I keep getting the 0x800f0984 error after it reaches 100%.
-
JackMS • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-17T20:43:58.0933333+00:00 Yeah i get "install error" god knows when microsoft will fix this for everyone.
-
Mark Williamson • 10 Reputation points
2025-12-18T00:38:32.5366667+00:00 Same exact issue as RK above. Have tried all options. Have tried to manually install. My computer is flawless, but will not install.
-
Mulldog • 30 Reputation points
2025-12-18T08:40:13.72+00:00 The same here. I won't be trying anything else now. It can sit there waiting until MS can get their act together.
This is very disappointing, actually, given that M365 is effectively now a subscription service. I expect more for my yearly fee.
-
-
Susan E Bradley, CPA/CITP/CFF, GSEC • 50 Reputation points
2025-12-18T17:29:05.1366667+00:00 Are these Dells? https://www.gizmochina.com/2025/12/15/dell-pcs-face-issues-with-windows-11-update-kb5072033/ Initial speculation pointed to Intel Arc graphics drivers. Further investigation by users revealed that a BIOS setting caused the issue. They found that disabling the “Enable adaptive c-States for discrete graphics” option under Advanced Setup > Performance in the BIOS stopped the system crashes.
-
daniel peluso • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-19T03:14:47.65+00:00 i am having the issue to that Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) will not install. and also playing games framerate is dropping like crazy and dropping so much games are unplayable like overwatch!
-
daniel peluso • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-19T03:19:31.7366667+00:00 I'm having the same issue with KB5072033 — it downloads, goes to 100%, then fails every time. On top of that, some of my games are dropping FPS badly, and titles like Overwatch have become almost unplayable since this update started trying (and failing) to install.
-
林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
2025-12-19T05:07:39.0233333+00:00 About eight days ago, I started trying to install Windows 11 security update KB5072033 (operating system version 26200.7462 / 26100.7462), but the installation repeatedly failed, frequently displaying the message "Update in progress, please keep your computer powered on." Even after restarting, the update could not complete. From December 11th to 12th, 2025, the installation failed for two consecutive days, with error codes 0x800f0991 and 0x80070002 respectively. During this period, the update temporarily disappeared from the "Quality Updates" list and was replaced by the Windows 11 24H2 fix release. At the same time, a folder named $WINDOWS.BT appeared on the C drive; the download progress once approached 100%, then reset to 0% after restarting. Until last night, after the fix release slowly progressed, the update switched back to KB5072033 and finally successfully downloaded, installed, and completed, resolving the problem
-
kanapuro • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-19T05:48:06.24+00:00 Also cannot install after multiple tries.
-
林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
2025-12-19T07:38:52.5633333+00:00 Update KB5072033 (Operating System Version 26200.7462 / 26100.7462) was successful, but today another problem occurred while downloading certain updates. We will try again later. If you continue to see this message, please try searching online or contacting support for assistance. This error code may be helpful: (0x80070002) Why is this happening?
-
Stephen Girty • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-21T06:44:25.4066667+00:00 Microsoft... Stop this crap. Stop using AI to try to fix your problems when you know damn well it is going to just make s*** up and break the goddamn the operating system. Fire the idiots you have in charge since they obviously only use computers for work and def own a Mac. Everyone else, switch to Steam OS. It's better then Win 11, 11 reminds me of Vista. It's garbage, not nessessary at all, and no where remotely close to XP service pack 2 (Win 10).
-
Bailin Chen • 10 Reputation points
2025-12-21T13:55:06.9166667+00:00 I have the same problem as well
-
Yvan Rossier • 20 Reputation points
2025-12-21T14:14:14.5366667+00:00 same problem with 2025 server, error 0x800f0922
-
Yvan Rossier • 20 Reputation points
2025-12-21T14:16:32.2833333+00:00 same problem with many Windows 2025 server, error 0x800f0922
-
Zoltán • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-21T15:31:00.6633333+00:00 Nekem sikerült. Rendszer-Helyreállítás-Problémák megoldása Windows Update használatával-
Újratelepítés most.
-
Dana O Smith • 10 Reputation points
2025-12-21T18:39:46.5666667+00:00 This update won't install on my new Asus laptop. Brand new laptop. Is this just an Asus issue? My camera stopped working and nobody seems to help me. I keep getting the runaround everywhere! Help!
-
Garen Loshkajian • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-22T02:17:54.8233333+00:00 I have that error occurring on my Dell Premium 16. My HP Envy 15, Surface Pro 8, and Surface Laptop 7 installed the update successfully. The solutions did not work for me either. I get 0x800f0991
-
Yvan Rossier • 20 Reputation points
2025-12-22T20:03:04.0566667+00:00 Reinstalling Windows 2025, same problem, this update won't install!!!! Microsoft is messing us up...
-
Pâmela Dias • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-23T02:30:14.6566667+00:00 KB5072033) (26200.7462) não instala. Sempre com erros.
-
Pâmela Dias • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-23T02:31:11.0233333+00:00 KB5072033) (26200.7462) não instala. Alguém conseguiu resolver o erro?
-
S.O • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-23T02:58:51.1633333+00:00 It seems no one succeded to resolve this issue so far:(
-
Skip Starsailor • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-23T12:10:42.1333333+00:00 FROM COPILOT: Where things stand now
You’ve already done the full, correct repair sequence:
• SFC → clean
• DISM ScanHealth → clean
• DISM RestoreHealth → successful
• Reboot → done
• Windows Update retry → still fails
• Manual MSU install → still fails
This combination tells me something very specific:
**⭐ Your system is fixed.
The update is not.**
When both Windows Update and the MSU fail on a healthy component store, the problem is upstream — the update payload Microsoft is serving for 25H2 is incomplete or mismatched.
You’ve hit the exact failure pattern that other 25H2 users are reporting.
Wait for Microsoft to reissue KB5072033
This is the most reliable path. Microsoft is already aware of the widespread failure on 25H2.
You’ll likely see:
- A revised KB5072033
- Or a January 2026 cumulative update that supersedes it
Once that happens, your system will install it normally.
-
Zbyszek Sz • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-24T09:40:39.4633333+00:00 Moj laptop to DELL Inspiron 14 2in1 7440 - i5-1334U 14''. U mnie ten sam problem z instalacja aktualizacji KB5072033. Czekamy, az MICROSOFT wyda naprawiajaca aktualizacje...
-
Atomizer • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-25T14:10:26.7033333+00:00 so you mean we have to wait for an updated version while my laptop is black screening like 10 times a day because the drivers cant be updated. im glad that linux doesnt have these problems.
-
Yotam Peleg • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-26T20:23:22.42+00:00 you can always try linux on ur laptop
-
Sandra Crockett • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-27T19:32:43.0333333+00:00 I have the same problem...
I had Microsoft fix it with an online chat session. 2 days later, it says the same error code has happened. So, you got me what's going on. I am just going to let it go and see what happens on the next update. What has been worrying me is that this is a SECURITY UPDATE.
Wait for Microsoft to re‑release or supersede KB5072033
This is what will fix it.
Try installing the next cumulative update when it drops
-
JAMES NEW • 20 Reputation points
2025-12-27T22:23:33.14+00:00 If you are concerned about updates. The daily Windows Defender updates will update fine, but of course the 2015-12 Security update will fail. Also, if you have an Intel based machine you can still update drivers using their "Intel Driver & Support Assistant". Finally, I have also updated the drivers for my Lenovo laptop using their "System Update" utility.
At this point it's just a matter of waiting for M$ to get their act together and fix this soon.
-
Mol • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-28T13:48:31.8+00:00 have the same issues. 2025-12 Security Update (KB5072033) (26200.7462) fails at 100% with a BSOD. for the past year the windows updates have been a pain to install on 2 different laptops in the household. and when they finally install, they make the computers slow and unresponsive. Since failing the sloppy KB5072033 my laptop produces random BDOS, every time with a different error.
maybe after this AI bubble will burst, microsoft will use less AI in coding and hire some more talent to handle the updates.
until the I suspended the updates and now I have to try to fix whatever got damaged and produces now so many BSOD
-
-
Pitchblack-5795 • 0 Reputation points
2025-12-31T20:16:04.0966667+00:00 I've been having this issue for weeks now, I'm also trying to install "(KB5072033) (26200.7462)" and I'm not part of the Windows Insider Programme..
It always fails at 97-98%, says something unexpected happened and it's reverting the patch...
SFC, DISM, restarting services, manually downloading the update and installing it, waiting... none of these helped so far.
Great opportunity to familiarize myself with my Linux desktop though, thanks for that at least
-
eric • 0 Reputation points
2026-01-14T04:48:04.07+00:00 been having same issue. just tried to install 2026-01 but no luck either. getting install error -0x800fo983
-
Garen Loshkajian • 0 Reputation points
2026-01-14T09:55:35.38+00:00 2026-01 installed fine on my HP Envy 15t-ep000 device. Have not checked if it installed on my Dell 16 Premium nor my Surface Pro 8 yet
-
Garen Loshkajian • 0 Reputation points
2026-01-15T01:14:31.0766667+00:00 I was still seeing 0x800f0991 on the 2026-01 update as well on my Dell 16 Premium. I am trying the repair install but I am not sure if that will work
-
Garen Loshkajian • 0 Reputation points
2026-01-15T16:36:52.7+00:00 Fix problems using Windows Update installed the January 2026 Security update successfully on my Dell 16 Premium. My Surface Pro 8 and HP Envy 15 never had any 0991 errors downloading the update
Sign in to comment
42 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Michael Copen • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-18T14:55:04.1833333+00:00 -
Hamish McLean • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-17T21:37:11.14+00:00 I would suggest not trying to force the update as there is clearly an issue.
I would suggest that you wait for the next update as, MS in all their wisdom, will likely have 'fixed' the issue.
If you try to force the update, be prepared to lose data and reimage your PC !
-
林宗昇 8,360 Reputation points
2025-12-16T05:31:10.05+00:00 Because the previous update to Windows 11 KB5072033 (Operating System Components 26200.7462 and 26100.7462) security update failed, and a few days later it became the Windows 24H2 patch version. I didn't update my computer, but the File Explorer interface changed, and even the dates in the User folder changed. Strange.
What happened:
I’ve been worried because Windows 11 security update KB5072033 (OS Build 26200.7462 / 26100.7462) has been failing to install since a few days ago.
Yesterday, I tried updating again. After restarting, the system unexpectedly showed “Updates are in progress. Please keep your computer on.” It ran for about 20 minutes, then restarted again. Shortly after rebooting, the same message appeared once more and ran for about 3 minutes, after which Windows finally booted normally.
However, on December 11–12, 2025, the update KB5072033 (26200.7462) still failed to install repeatedly with error code 0x800f0991.
I also noticed that a $WINDOWS.~BT folder was created on the C: drive. Later, Windows attempted a Windows 11 24H2 repair version, which took a long time. After I deleted the Windows Update temporary files and removed the $WINDOWS.~BT folder, the update status changed again
Why does Windows Update display the message "Some problems occurred while installing updates, but we'll try again later" whenever my laptop restarts? If you continue to see this message and want to search the internet or contact support for more information, this might help: (0x80070002) What's going on?
It means that the installation error doesn't appear as long as the computer is turned on.
-
Jay Stern • 5 Reputation points
2025-12-13T02:53:40.8766667+00:00 FIXED!!! As per Ramesh Srinivasan, Volunteer Moderator, post above on Dec 11th: I tried every repair mentioned in this thread, including a manual installation, but the KB5072033 Security Update still failed every time I attempted it. So I bit the bullet and finally followed his post's repair suggestion and reinstalled Windows (without disturbing my programs and data) using his 'Fix problems using Windows Update' option. It worked. The KB5072033 update is no longer appearing on Windows Update. Much thanks, Ramesh!
-
SMedbourn • 120 Reputation points
2025-12-17T04:30:41.8833333+00:00 Did you check for updates again? I did try "Fix problems using Windows Update" and it wasn't showing and I hit check for updates and it was there and it failed again and again.
Sign in to comment -
-
Yoram Burg • 130 Reputation points
2025-12-12T18:00:18.73+00:00 SOLVED: used "Reset" then - "Fix Problems Using Windows Update" - it reinstalled 25H2, didn't have to reinstall anything - problem solved.
-
Simon Clark • 10 Reputation points
2025-12-13T11:20:41.77+00:00 Gave this a try and it seems to have worked for me too.
Sign in to comment -