Unexpected I/O Error has occurred, winload.efi 0xc00000e9

Tristan B 0 Reputation points
2025-11-20T01:00:48.7233333+00:00

Hello,

I've recently been encountering an issue with my Win11 install and I'm out of options for personal troubleshooting; before I detail the problem I would like to state upfront that I have seen several people with similar issues and in following their proposed fixes I have already:

Completely formatted my SSDs and even changed which once I (re)installed Windows on

Cleared my TPM keys in my UEFI settings

Flashed my BIOS and cleared my CMOS

With that out of the way, the specific problem is that whenever I try to boot into my Windows 11 install while Secure Boot is enabled, I run into the error screen and my only recourse is to reboot completely and disable my TPM on the hardware level from my UEFI settings. Once that has been done, Windows boots and even operates completely fine, with zero issues whatsoever. My problems are largely that if I encounter something I do require Secure Boot for (Battlefield 6, for instance, requires it as do a slowly increasing number of other games) my setup is completely unable to allow for this. I have seen a lot of suggestions about reinstalling the TPM firmware through Windows' onboard device manager, but this is also impossible as the only way I can boot into Windows (and therefore access the device manager) is to have it disabled, which means it does not show up as a recognizeable device. Similarly, I am locked out of Safe Mode as far as I can tell for similar reasons. If anyone else has encountered this issue I would love to hear any sort of help that can be offered. Thank you very much for reading!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Francisco Montilla 30,715 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-11-20T03:00:33.65+00:00

    Hi Tristan,

    You are hitting a Secure Boot state that cannot validate or read the Windows boot files when TPM is present. The fix is to reset the platform Secure Boot keys to factory defaults and then rebuild the EFI boot files while TPM and Secure Boot are both enabled.

    Power the PC off. Enter UEFI setup and set Boot or CSM to UEFI only. Make sure Secure Boot is enabled and the mode is Standard or Factory, not Custom. Use the option that resets Secure Boot to factory defaults. Enable TPM 2.0 in firmware as Intel PTT or AMD fTPM. Save changes, keep Secure Boot on, and boot from a Windows 11 USB installer.

    At the first Windows Setup screen press Shift+F10 to open Command Prompt. Run:

    diskpart
    list vol
    

    Note the small FAT32 partition marked System, usually 100-260 MB. Select it by volume number and assign it a letter like S: with:

    assign letter=S
    

    Type exit to leave diskpart. Now recreate the signed UEFI boot files with:

    bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI
    

    Wait for the success message, close the window, remove the USB, and let the machine boot from Windows Boot Manager. If your Windows drive is not C: in this environment, substitute the correct letter you see for your Windows volume before running bcdboot.

    Once back in Windows, open Settings > Windows Update and install everything offered so the Secure Boot DBX is current. Confirm the result in System Information. BIOS Mode should read UEFI and Secure Boot State should read On.

    If you still see the same error, return to UEFI and verify that SATA or NVMe controller modes have not been left on a legacy or RAID-only setting. With a clean Windows 11 install, AHCI for SATA and pure NVMe for M.2 are typically the most compatible when Secure Boot and TPM are on.

    Was this answer helpful?