How to reset MFA for my Global Admin account when Microsoft Authenticator is lost

Khaleel Ahmed 35 Reputation points
2025-11-17T19:39:29.8433333+00:00

Hi Team,

I am the Global Administrator of my Microsoft Entra ID (Azure AD) tenant, and I have lost access to my Microsoft Authenticator app on my old phone.

Because MFA was enabled and Microsoft Authenticator was my only configured method, I am now completely locked out of my Global Admin account. I cannot approve sign-in requests, and the system does not give me any alternative MFA options.

I tried:

  • Signing in from multiple browsers
  • “I don’t have my Authenticator” option
  • Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR)

But all these still ask me for Authenticator approval, which I can’t access.

I do not have a second Global Admin or break-glass account in the tenant, so I cannot reset the authentication methods myself.

Could you please advise on how to reset or remove MFA for a Global Admin when the Authenticator app is lost and no other MFA method exists?

If needed, I can provide:

  • Proof of domain ownership
  • Subscription billing details
  • Organization verification
  • Any identity confirmation required for admin recovery

I need guidance on the correct process or escalation steps to recover my Global Admin access.

Thank you.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Entra ID

Answer accepted by question author
Sridevi Machavarapu 33,820 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2025-11-17T20:23:29.3433333+00:00

Hello Khaleel Ahmed,

The issue pertains to a tenant lockout, where no other global admin in the tenant has the necessary permissions to re-register MFA.

To resolve this, we have engaged our Data Protection team through a support ticket. They will reach out to you via email or phone to help restore access to the tenant and assist in resolving the issue.

Once the issue has been resolved by our support team, please feel free to revisit and kindly click "Accept Answer," as this will be helpful to other community members facing similar issues.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.