Windows 11 Pro OEM License Deactivated After Update KB5068861 (ASUS VivoBook)

Breanna Fields 0 Reputation points
2025-11-14T15:21:39.2866667+00:00

After installing the latest Windows Security Update KB5068861, my Windows 11 Pro OEM license is suddenly marked as inactive. My device is an ASUS VivoBook, and it has always been running Windows 11 Pro, not Windows 11 Home.

When I go to Settings → Activation and run the activation troubleshooter, it incorrectly tells me that my device should be running Windows 11 Home, even though:

  • My laptop shipped with Windows 11 Pro,
  • The digital license has always been recognized as Pro, and
  • I have never installed or used Windows 11 Home on this device.

To temporarily fix the issue, I uninstalled update KB5068861, and immediately my Windows 11 Pro license shows as legitimately activated again. However, Windows will automatically reinstall this update in a few weeks, which will put me back into the same activation problem.

I tried to reinstall Windows 11 from the iso file but that didn't do anything. Would anyone have any suggestions? I know I'm not the only one who has run into this. I honestly don't need Pro, I could use Home, but the issue is I don't want to shell out the money for a new key and it still not work.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.