The copilot button in MS Edge and the context menu (right mouse button) have disappeared

akrab 13 20 Reputation points
2025-11-05T10:57:26.3633333+00:00

Subject: Copilot Button Disappears in Microsoft Edge After Restart

Dear Microsoft Edge Support Team,

I am facing a persistent issue with the Copilot button in Microsoft Edge. The button appears on the toolbar after a fresh installation or reset, but it disappears every time I restart the browser. This happens consistently, even though Copilot functionality seems available via shortcuts (e.g., Ctrl + Shift + .).

System Specifications:

Microsoft Edge Version: 142.0.3595.53 (Official build) (64-bit)

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro (fully updated)

Microsoft Account: Personal (not work or school)

Antivirus: Windows Defender (default, no third-party software)

Steps I Have Already Tried Without Success:

Reinstalling Microsoft Edge completely (via Settings > Apps > Uninstall, then downloading from microsoft.com/edge)

Clearing cache, cookies, and site data (Ctrl + Shift + Delete, all time range)

Resetting Edge settings to default (Settings > Reset settings > Restore settings to their default values)

Manually enabling Copilot and sidebar options in Settings > Appearance (they reset or become inactive after restart)

Updating Edge and Windows to the latest versions (via Settings > About Microsoft Edge and Windows Update)

Modifying registry keys, such as setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\HubsSidebarEnabled to 1 and ShowCopilotButton to 1 (changes do not persist or have no effect)

Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) after adding Edge policy templates, enabling policies like HubsSidebarEnabled and related Copilot options (no change after gpupdate /force and reboot)

Creating a new Edge profile and signing in with the same personal account.

The problem started recently and affects usability, as I rely on Copilot for productivity. I have confirmed that my region supports Copilot, and there are no corporate policies or extensions interfering (all extensions disabled).

Could you please provide guidance on a permanent fix or investigate if this is a known bug in version 142? Any logs or additional diagnostics I can provide?

Thank you for your assistance!

Best regards,

Akrab

******@gmail.com

Microsoft Copilot | Other
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.