Link to Forgot Password/Password Reset in Entra External ID

metalheart 421 Reputation points
2025-11-03T10:03:41.48+00:00

I create users in an External ID tenant from my app using Microsoft Graph. How can I share a link to an initial password reset in an onboarding email?

The challenge I'm facing is that the "Forgot my password" link on the login page seems to be stateful and brings the users back to the login page (they only differ by the value of the state query param). This behavior seems to be different from AAD B2C where the Forgot/Reset password flows were dedicated user flows and performing them was possible with separate URLs.

The background is that the users currently need to click "Forgot my password" when visiting the site for the first time which is rather counterintuitive as they hadn't set any password yet. If the above is not viable for some reason, is there any recommendation what to do instead?

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Entra External ID

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.