Why can't I move the task bar to the top of the screen with Windows 11?

O'Hara, Jen 30 Reputation points
2025-10-31T13:55:55.7033333+00:00

I have a bad neck, so I always have the task bar at the top of the screen. Windows 11 was just pushed to my computer and I can't move it.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Desktop, Start, and personalization | Task Bar

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-10-31T14:29:33.93+00:00

Hi O'Hara, Jen,

Thanks for reaching out. Windows 11 no longer allows moving the taskbar to the top through the standard Settings menu. This change was part of the taskbar redesign, and Microsoft removed the option to simplify the interface and maintain consistency.

First, if you want the taskbar at the top, the built-in settings won’t help you’ll need a workaround. The most reliable method is using third-party tools like ExplorerPatcher or Start11, which restore classic taskbar functionality and let you move it to the top safely.

Second, older registry hacks (editing the StuckRects3 key) that worked in early builds are now broken in recent Windows 11 updates, so they’re not recommended unless you’re on an older version.

Last, if you prefer an official solution, you can submit feedback through the Feedback Hub app in Windows 11. Microsoft has acknowledged this as one of the most requested features, but there’s no timeline for its return.

If this helps, please mark the answer as accepted so others can find it too.

Best,
Carl

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jo 0 Reputation points
    2026-06-13T16:45:21.9433333+00:00

    I can't figure out why they removed this feature

    It might be OK on a desktop where the screen might be raised a bit, but if you are working on notebook or tablet ...... which a lot of grown-ups are
    My ipad has a much friendlier interface ergonomically
    Bill Gates 'stole' xWindows -- but I suppose Apple did too
    They will both argue that it was 'open source'

    Why don't they ask Copilot to redesign it for them?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.