Remote Desktop Connection Manager limited to only 3 active sessions, (and not by GPO)

Ted 25 Reputation points
2025-10-30T15:00:20.7533333+00:00

I have about 30 servers set up in RDCM, but for some reason, any time I try to connect to more than 3, I get an error that says: "Disconnected from (server name) (Unknown disconnection reason 3336)"

This even affects reconnections. If I connect to 3 servers, disconnect from 1, and then try to reconnect back to it, I get the above error. It's almost as if something internal to it is tracking that it's already connected to 3 servers, and no more is allowed.

Any time I get this error, I just close RDCM and re-open it and I can connect to the server that gave me the error with no problem. Needless to say, I close RDCM and re-open it a lot.

I saw an article about how this could be a limitation via GPO, but I opened gpedit and drilled down to where that was set up, and it says that the limitation is not enabled via GPO. (I was bummed by that because I was hoping that would be an easy fix).

I've talked with other RDCM users at my company, and they say they don't have this same problem. I've redownloaded and "re-installed" it, but no luck. I can't think of anything else local to my laptop that would control this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sysinternals
Sysinternals

Advanced system utilities to manage, troubleshoot, and diagnose Windows and Linux systems and applications.

0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.