A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
This problem seems to be fixed in Version 2605 (Build 20026.20168) on Windows 11 version 25H2 (Build 26200.8655).
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
On 2 Windows 11 computers in the past few weeks, when closing a document in Word I've been getting "Want to save your changes" without my having made any changes. The Save pop-up appears if I've had the document open for 1 minute, but not for open times that are much less than one minute.
Various workarounds have been suggested for this problem over the past decade, but this problem has only recently showed up for me, and on 2 computers, so there may be a new problem created by an update. I've tried the workaround of going to File > Options > Advanced > General and verified that the box for "Prompt before saving Normal template" is not checked. I'm using version 2509 (Build 19231.20194 Click-to-Run).
Word offering to save is a problem for 2 reasons:
(1) If one choose Save when NO changes have been made, the file will now have a new save timestamp, which makes the content seem more recent than it is.
(2) If the prompt to save is ignored and there ARE changes, these will be lost.
The prompt is most useful if it alerts the user if and only if there are changes to be saved.
Are others finding this is starting to happen to them too? Are there workarounds to stop it?
Moderator note: Locking this thread after the original poster has indicated that the issue has been resolved in version 2506. See the Recommended Answer. Anyone who still sees the issue or later finds that it has returned, feel free to start a new thread (include a link to the current thread).
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
This problem seems to be fixed in Version 2605 (Build 20026.20168) on Windows 11 version 25H2 (Build 26200.8655).
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
Thanks, Suzanne! The tip to disable Copilot has solved the problem for me.
After I disabled Copilot, the progress bar that flashed briefly also disappeared.
I'm having the same issue with Word on a MAC. Super annoying. I'd actually like the "last saved" date on the file to reflect when I actually made changes, not when I last opened it. This bug is super annoying!
I'm having the same problem on a Mac as well. I also use Windows on a laptop and have to work between both Mac and Windows versions. I use the last saved date to check the most unto date copy. Let's hope Microsoft solve this ASAP - after all we do pay an annual fee for the use of this!