Microsoft is unable to reach the domain controllers for this managed domain

Bob -Ourtech 5 Reputation points
2025-10-21T17:25:54.0433333+00:00

If this is not tagged correctly, please let me know.

Yesterday, I received am error message "Microsoft is unable to reach the domain controllers for this managed domain" I logged in and got this information:

ourtechcc.com

The managed domain is experiencing a network error

Severity Critical

ID AADDS104

Raised Mon, Oct 20, 2025, 03:52:57 UTC

Last detected Mon, Oct 20, 2025, 03:52:57 UTC

Replica Set East US/aadds-vnet/aadds-subnet

Issue

Microsoft is unable to reach the domain controllers for this managed domain. This may happen if a network security group (NSG) configured on your virtual network blocks access to the managed domain. Another possible reason is if there is a user defined route that blocks incoming traffic from the internet.

Nothing has been changed on my domain in years. Because of the timing, I initially thought it was because of the AWS outage. My domain provider - GoDaddy, is hosted on AWS. But that is largely over and I am still seeing the error. There is a diagnostic that I can run that run "Microsoft Entra Domain Services Network diagnostics". When I run it, these are the results:

Diagnostics completed successfully at 10/21/2025, 12:22:56 PM.

Validation****ResultEast US/aadds-vnet/aadds-subnetOKEast US/aadds-vnet/aadds-subnetOKDNS recordsOKSo, it passes the test, but I still get an error. Any ideas?

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Other
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.