Media Player

Alan Barlow 0 Reputation points
2025-10-10T14:52:15.5366667+00:00

Hello.

I would like to know the seek time for Media Player when requesting a 'Start Position' via VBA.

I am developing an audio application that is time sensitive and want to know if Media Player takes the same time to position itself to a requested time code when the audio file is small compared to a lager file.

File type being used is WAV.

I have several instruments detailed in the file and the application is playing from all or any of them. The more instruments I add to the sound file, the bigger it becomes.

I would like to know if there is a limit (besides the 2GB file-size) beyond which, the response time to reposition the time-code for playing a note from one instrument at the beginning of the file becomes noticeable compared with a time-code for an instrument near the end of the file - in terms of the play-back quality/response.

In actual fact, I am using 6 Media Player instances - each with the same file loaded at application startup and then giving them exact time codes for the next start position (to play a note within the sound file).

Is the seek time for positioning the player to a start position the same regardless of the time-code specified?

Or does the Start-Position routine always start from the beginning of the file and seek the time code specified? - in which case, the larger the file, the greater time is spent positioning to the requested start position???

Kindest regards,

Alan.

Windows development | Windows API - Win32

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.