How to fix DPM service terminated unexpectedly during completion of the job

Sandile Matimba 5 Reputation points
2025-10-02T15:01:33.55+00:00

I am running DPM 2025 on a physical machine and I keep getting tape backup errors only when running my month end tape backup jobs. See error details below:

The following alert occurred at 2025/10/01 23:57:46.

Status: Active

Stand Alone Drive Tape Library : IBM ULTRIUM 7 HH TAPE DRIVE

Tape: Protection Group 1 - HyperV-LT-1Months-Copy0-00000002

Description: Detailed tape inventory failed The DPM service terminated unexpectedly during completion of the job. The termination may have been caused by a system reboot.

For more information, open DPM Administrator Console and review the alert details in the Monitoring task area.

This only happens on the monthly backup jobs. The daily and weekly tape backup jobs run successfully with no issues.I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling DPM, yielding the same result.

Microsoft System Center | Other

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.