GcaInstaller_3.1.12.0.msi MSI Installation Fails with Error 1603 — Missing Rollback Registry Subkey (Windows 10 Pro)

Christian Haase 0 Reputation points
2025-09-25T12:51:50.23+00:00

Hi all,

I'm troubleshooting an MSI installation failure with GcaInstaller_3.1.12.0.msi on Windows 10 (Lenovo AMD Ryzen AI PRO 7). The installer fails with:

Error 1603: Fatal error during installation  
Error 1402: Could not open registry key related to rollback scripts

🔍 What I’ve Verified

I manually created the parent registry key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts

and confirmed it is accessible with correct permissions.

The installer attempts to access a subkey or value named ScriptsDisabled under that path, which does not exist. This triggers a NAME NOT FOUND error in Process Monitor.

After this, rollback is triggered and the parent key is deleted.


🧠 My Conclusion

The issue appears to be with the MSI itself — not with msiexec.exe. It expects ScriptsDisabled to exist or be created during install, and its absence causes a failed registry query and rollback.


🧪 What I’ve Tried

  • Pre-creating the parent key with correct permissions
  • Running installer as Admin
  • Using DISABLEROLLBACK=1 (still fails)
  • Verbose logging and ProcMon tracing

❓ My Questions

  1. Has anyone seen an MSI that expects ScriptsDisabled under Rollback\Scripts?
  2. Is this a known pattern in MSI rollback logic?
  3. Can this be patched or bypassed without modifying the MSI?

Thanks in advance! Christian

Microsoft Copilot | Other
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.