Cannot install Purview Information Protection PowerShell module

Phil Taylor 25 Reputation points
2025-09-25T09:14:51.9833333+00:00

Hello,

After installing Microsoft Purview Information Protection client, I try to run the "import-module" command in powershell as administrator and I receive the following error:

Import-Module: Could not load file or assembly 'MSIP.Scanner, Version=3.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. System could not find the specified file.

I tried to check MSIP.Scanner.exe version and it is 3.1.310.0, different from the version that this command is trying to load.

The PurviewInformationProtection.psd1 file also specifies the version as:

ModuleVersion = '3.1.310.0'

The path seems to be correct:

RootModule = '../../AIP.dll'

I've tried to change it to a absolute path as well but it didn't work.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Purview

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.