Cannot update Azure Monitor Windows Agent - Stuck in Creating

Scott Wilson 5 Reputation points
2025-09-23T20:40:40.8333333+00:00

I have about 30 computers that need their Azure Monitor Windows Agent upgraded. When I try to upgrade them, the Extensions panel shows the Status -> Creating

All of them show the same log entry in the gc_ext.log file

[2025-09-23 14:07:27.500] [PID 2044] [TID 2516] [Pull Client] [INFO] [bd69f8b2-f2a1-44fd-a98e-0cf8441cfc88] Unzipping extension package C:\ProgramData\GuestConfig\downloads\Microsoft.Azure.Monitor.AzureMonitorWindowsAgent1.37.0.0.zip to C:\ProgramData\GuestConfig\downloads\Microsoft.Azure.Monitor.AzureMonitorWindowsAgent1.37.0.0 location.

[2025-09-23 14:07:55.543] [PID 2044] [TID 2516] [Pull Client] [ERROR] [bd69f8b2-f2a1-44fd-a98e-0cf8441cfc88] [C:__w\1\s\src\dsc\gc_pullclient\dsc_pull_client.cpp:807] Failed to download/unzip extension package 'Microsoft.Azure.Monitor.AzureMonitorWindowsAgent' dsc_Error : The total unzipped file exceeded 300MB. quiting unzip.

I can see the file being downloaded, unzipped and then deleted off the disk.

How do I fix the 300MB limitation?

Azure Advisor
Azure Advisor

An Azure personalized recommendation engine that helps users follow best practices to optimize Azure deployments.


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.