Windows 11 x64 doesn't provide enough memory to Excel Solver; Excel stops responding

Dave Post 20 Reputation points
2025-09-19T18:31:34.38+00:00

I'm using Excel's Solver (GRG algorithm) for some nonlinear optimization problems. On my 16-GB ARM64 Mac, Excel 2024 for MacOS uses lots of (virtual) memory while solving them. 40 GB or more isn't unusual.

A friend is trying to help by running these problems on his 12-GB Windows 11 PC using Excel 2024 for Windows. On his system, though, Excel uses a few hundred MB of memory and then stops responding.

The problem replicates in Office 365 on a 16-GB Windows 11 PC. Excel stopped responding when its virtual memory use reached 1.7 GB.

Solver works correctly in Office 2024 for Windows under Windows 11 ARM64 on my Mac.

I think I've discovered a problem with Windows 11 x64, rather than Excel or Solver: Excel hangs because Windows 11 x64 doesn't respond correctly when Excel requests more memory. Anyway, it's clear the problem isn't due to something amiss on the first computer.

I placed a copy of the spreadsheet at https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/x0tkgakgy8paslw08xu70/Palette-Annealer-beta-16.xlsm?rlkey=qkyqc1n68yyzrwhiuiwd7oxoj&dl=0 if anyone cares to try it. It's set up for a 12-color problem. Just start Solver up, make sure GRG forward is selected, and go.

Solver takes roughly 25 minutes to produce a solution for that problem on my Mac. If you try it, please report your outcome.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.