Connection from azure to on prem not working after New external IP – Where to Update?

Aran Billen 976 Reputation points
2025-09-19T11:12:46.0833333+00:00

Hi all,

We’ve recently switched our broadband lines, which means we now have a new external IP. This IP is used in several places, including Azure, where we run a site-to-site VPN from our on-premises server.

I updated the IP in the Local Network Gateway resource within Azure, but the VPN connection then broke.

My question is: does this need to be updated somewhere else on the Azure side (e.g., Virtual Network Gateway, Virtual Network), or could it be something within our firewall: Smoothwall, like a missing or misconfigured rule?

Just putting ideas out there, as I’m not sure what else I might be missing!

Azure VPN Gateway
Azure VPN Gateway

An Azure service that enables the connection of on-premises networks to Azure through site-to-site virtual private networks.


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.