In WinUI3 desktop application: PostMessage of WM_KEYDOWN/WM_CHAR doesn't produce typed characters (VK_TAB works)

Harshithraj1871 1,786 Reputation points
2025-09-18T13:14:56.4066667+00:00

Hi,

I'm working on WinUI3 desktop application in CPP. I want to simulate the Key Press behaviour in my application, but I don't want to injects input at the OS level, so whatever application has focus will see it exactly as if the user typed it. I want to inject the keypress only to my application. So I extracted the HWND from WinUI3 window and used PostMessage API to simulate the Key Press event. But I’m struggling with PostMessage when trying to simulate keystrokes. I can make VK_TAB work (it moves focus), but character keys like T, A, etc. are ignored by the target window. I tried multiple variants (WM_KEYDOWN with VK codes, WM_CHAR, VkKeyScan, WM_KEYUP) but the target app still does not receive/act on the character input. I’d like to understand why PostMessage fails for characters and what the recommended.

Windows development | Windows App SDK

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.

    7 deleted comments

    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.