How to fix photos that are won't display in the photo app; downloaded from Iphone

DA Caldwell 20 Reputation points
2025-09-15T17:46:14.5466667+00:00

My question is in regard to both photo apps on my Windows 11 photo legacy & regular Windows 11 photos app.

Certain photos downloading into these apps on my PC will no populate nor can I delete the blank photo! Iphone photos I think they are!??

What is causing this problem? I run a desk top Lenovo PC. Your input would be much appreciated, thankyou.

Grameenita

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Apps
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Haien-L 7,740 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2025-09-15T22:56:07.11+00:00

Dear DA Caldwell
Thanks for reaching out! Welcome to Microsoft Q&A. I'm Haien from Microsoft Q&A. 

I understand how frustrating it is when your photos don't display properly, especially after you've transferred them from your iPhone to your desktop. This issue is most likely caused by a file format incompatibility. Modern iPhones, by default, take photos and videos in a format called High-Efficiency Image Format (HEIF), which uses the .heic file extension. However, a standard Windows 11 installation doesn't have the built-in ability to read and display these .heic files. When you transfer the photos to your PC, the Photos app sees that a file exists but can't read the image data, which results in the blank tile you're seeing. Here is a simple procedure so you can easy follow:

  • Go to Settings > Apps > Installed apps > Search for "Photos," click the three dots > Advanced options > Select "Repair" first, then "Reset" if needed (this clears cache but keeps data).
  • For Legacy Photos: Search "Photos Legacy" in Start menu, right-click > App settings > Repair/Reset.
  • Open the Microsoft Store, search for "HEIF Image Extensions" and "HEVC Video Extensions" (both free from Microsoft) > Install them

Please keep me updated with anything new that you were try to each option.

To assist others who might have similar questions and to help us improve our support system, we kindly encourage you to "Accept the answer" if it successfully addressed your concern. Accepting an answer lets other users know that this solution worked for you, and it also helps us track the effectiveness of our support efforts.

We appreciate your patience and look forward to resolving this quickly for you.

Warm regards

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Haien-L 7,740 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2025-09-17T19:31:04.3733333+00:00

    Dear DA Caldwell

    Welcome to Microsoft Q&A. I'm Haien from Microsoft Q&A.

    May I ask if you have tried my suggestions for your case? I hope you can keep me updated on your issue in the future.

    Your satisfaction is Microsoft's priority.

    Warm regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.