Missing "Sleep" in power button choices and in power options

Linda Wesson 0 Reputation points
2025-09-03T02:42:33.42+00:00

I have spent three hours troubleshooting with Lenovo Tech Support with no success. They said it's a "Windows" issue. I am running Windows 11 Pro, 24H2, OS Build 26100.5074. When I right click on the Start button and click on "Power," the only choices I have are "Shut down" and "Restart." Once I go further into Power Options, there is no "Sleep" box to check anywhere. Lenovo found "Hypervisor does not support the sleep feature." I believe this was changed with a Windows update. We ran a Windows repair, which did not bring "Sleep" back. I've done these steps below except for Number 5. I have no idea how to check that.

  1. Power Options: Go to the Power Options in the Control Panel and ensure that the sleep settings are configured correctly. You can access this by searching for "Power Options" in the Start menu.
  2. Advanced Power Settings: In the Power Options window, click on "Change plan settings" for your selected power plan, then click on "Change advanced power settings." Look for the "Sleep" settings and ensure they are enabled.
  3. Device Manager: Check if there are any device drivers that need to be updated, particularly for your chipset and power management drivers. Sometimes, outdated drivers can cause issues with power options.
  4. Windows Updates: Make sure your Windows is fully updated, as updates can sometimes resolve compatibility issues.
  5. Hypervisor Settings: If you're using a hypervisor (like Hyper-V), check its settings to see if it allows sleep states for the virtual machines and the host.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Sleep and Power on, off
0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Rodrigo Queiroz 78,705 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-09-06T00:18:54.86+00:00

    Did you download the drivers from Lenovo website?

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Linda Wesson 0 Reputation points
    2025-09-04T22:20:28.27+00:00

    I have a Lenovo ThinkPad P17 Gen. 2. I reinstalled both the Intel(R) UHD Graphics driver and the NVIDIA RTX A2000 driver. Lenovo wants me to send my laptop to them so they can try to fix it. It's so frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Rodrigo Queiroz 78,705 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-09-04T01:42:51.47+00:00

    What is your Lenovo device model?
    Reinstalling the graphics driver should fix the missing "Sleep" option.

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Rodrigo Queiroz 78,705 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-09-03T03:21:03.8733333+00:00

    Hi, I'm Rodrigo and I will help you.
    On Power Options, select "Choose what power button does" make sure the Sleep options is checked, if not, check it.

    (If the option is grayed out, select "Change settings that are currently unavailable" to enable the options)

    User's image

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.