Azure App Service is a service used to create and deploy scalable, mission-critical web apps.
Azure Deployment Get Certificate Repeats with ... Italian?
I am attempting to deploy an App Service via Bicep template and am running into what appears to be serious problems with Azure Resource Manager.
To start, I have 3 App Services that all run the same template, and two of them succeed without problems. The 3rd one hangs on a Microsoft.Web/certificates task, and when I view the Related Events, I can see what appears to be a recursive call to get the certificate:
Notice also the use of... Italian? Not exactly getting the warm n' fuzzies here.
These operations will continue until it times out at about an hour later.
Correlation ID: 4a902dc0-d2da-4c3a-ac0e-5622ffe02ba7
Azure App Service
-
Mike-E-angelo • 631 Reputation points
2025-08-31T17:27:07.91+00:00 Finding that mass errors are thrown when I change the location of the deployments (e.g. from
eastustoeastus2). Also, I seem to have system-created managed identities that have been orphaned from their created applications. Not getting the feeling this is all tested very well at all. -
Bhargavi Naragani • 7,940 Reputation points • Moderator
2025-09-01T01:53:31.06+00:00 Hi Mike-E-angelo,
Suggest you refer this similar thread here might be helpful. Let us know if you have any further query.
- The deployment is getting stuck on the certificate creation step because of a sequencing issue.
- Azure needs the custom hostname bound to the App Service first before it can issue the certificate. When both steps are attempted together, the process ends up in a loop until it times out.
- The Italian text you see in the logs is just how Azure reports certain backend events it doesn’t indicate an error.
The recommended approach is to deploy in two steps:
- Deploy the App Service and add the hostname binding (without SSL).
- In a second step, deploy the certificate and bind it to the hostname.
This resolves the circular dependency and ensures the certificate can be issued successfully.
If you have any old certificates from failed attempts, removing them first also helps. And if you’re using certificates from Key Vault, make sure the App Service has read access to the vault.
Configure and manage TLS/SSL certificates in App Service
Microsoft.Web/certificates resource reference (Bicep/ARM)
Hope this helps, if you have any further concerns or queries, please feel free to reach out to us.
-
Mike-E-angelo • 631 Reputation points
2025-09-01T06:13:35.6233333+00:00 Hi @Bhargavi Naragani thank you for the reply, but that does not seem to be the same issue. There are no errors thrown, but the operation appears to repeat forever with messages emitted in Italian and Japanese. I provided the correlation ID for further investigation.
-
Bhargavi Naragani • 7,940 Reputation points • Moderator
2025-09-01T07:20:51.3466667+00:00 Hi Mike-E-angelo,
Thank you for clarifying. The repeated Italian/Japanese messages aren’t errors themselves they’re symptoms of a deployment loop caused by a circular dependency between the hostname binding and certificate creation. Azure can’t issue the certificate until the hostname is already bound, so when both are deployed together the operation repeats indefinitely. The recommended fix is a two-phase deployment:
- Deploy the web app and bind the hostname (without SSL).
- Then deploy the certificate and enable SSL binding.
-
Mike-E-angelo • 631 Reputation points
2025-09-01T08:07:05.5933333+00:00 Thank you for that @Bhargavi Naragani . Why is Azure displaying Italian and Japanese messages instead of stating the actual problem? This seems like an obvious defect. Additionally, I already have my deployments separated as recommended so that the two-phase approach occurs. Are you saying you have investigated the correlation ID and have determined this is the problem? Thank you for your continued assistance.
-
Bhargavi Naragani • 7,940 Reputation points • Moderator
2025-09-03T06:00:49.21+00:00 Hi Mike-E-angelo,
the repeated Italian/Japanese messages in the Activity Log don’t provide much clarity and understandably feel like a defect. These localized strings are coming from Azure’s backend telemetry systems, and while they aren’t harmful themselves, I agree that they obscure the real root cause instead of surfacing a more actionable message.
Regarding the correlation ID: community moderators (like myself) don’t have the ability to directly trace or investigate it. That level of analysis requires the Azure product team or a formal Azure Support case, where they can pull the backend logs tied to that ID and confirm exactly what’s happening in your subscription.
Since you’ve already split the deployment into two phases (which usually resolves circular dependency issues), and you’re still seeing infinite certificate polling.
can you please check the private message and provide necessary details over there
-
Mike-E-angelo • 631 Reputation points
2025-09-12T05:38:16.0833333+00:00 Hi @Bhargavi Naragani can you please update the status of that ticket? It seems to have been closed, and you have not been replying to my emails for several days now. I hope you can understand the concern here.
-
Mike-E-angelo • 631 Reputation points
2025-09-30T09:11:45.27+00:00 Hi @Bhargavi Naragani any update, please? It has been nearly a month now, and there has been no follow-up on the Azure ticket, which is highly unusual. Can you please ensure its status? Thank you for any update you can provide.
-
Mike-E-angelo • 631 Reputation points
2025-10-01T09:21:27.1366667+00:00 Hi @Bhargavi Naragani thank you for any update you can provide on this issue reported to you on August 31st, 2025:
https://howlongagogo.com/date/2025/august/31
This was 31 days ago.
-
Mike-E-angelo • 631 Reputation points
2025-10-02T06:12:01.29+00:00 Hi @Bhargavi Naragani @Anonymous thank you for any update you can provide on this issue reported to you on August 31st, 2025:
https://howlongagogo.com/date/2025/august/31
This was 32 days ago.
-
Mike-E-angelo • 631 Reputation points
2025-10-06T06:53:43.6933333+00:00 Hi @Bhargavi Naragani / @Vimal Lalani / @Anonymous any update on #2509030040001995 please? This issue was reported to you on August 31st, 2025:
https://howlongagogo.com/date/2025/august/31
This was 36 days ago.
-
Mike-E-angelo • 631 Reputation points
2025-10-06T20:43:40.3433333+00:00 Hi @Bhargavi Naragani / @Anonymous care to explain why the message that was opened with me to discuss this issue was deleted?
-
Anonymous
2025-10-07T01:09:38.6366667+00:00 As mentioned earlier, I need the details I asked for in my private message to proceed. I appreciate your cooperation on this matter.
-
Mike-E-angelo • 631 Reputation points
2025-10-07T06:58:12.2466667+00:00 Hi @Anonymous thank you for your reply. I no longer see the message. Can you please confirm if it was deleted? Additionally, as I mentioned in the (now-deleted) message, I have already provided the details, and they were in Azure Support ticket #2509030040001995, which hasn't been updated in over a month now since its creation. Please confirm.
-
Anonymous
2025-10-07T07:22:47.41+00:00 The case 2509030040001995 is still open, and I’m unable to see any details associated with it. If you require assistance, please share the necessary information; otherwise, continuing this discussion without details will not be productive.
-
Mike-E-angelo • 631 Reputation points
2025-10-07T07:27:57.1066667+00:00 Thank you for that @Anonymous , it is appreciated. I cannot see this ticket in my Azure portal. How do I associate this ticket with my Azure account?
-
Mike-E-angelo • 631 Reputation points
2025-10-07T07:37:02.0233333+00:00 Additionally @Anonymous all the details were provided in the ticket, which you would be able to confirm in the message history if it had not been deleted. I would greatly appreciate hearing from you on why staff are opening messages with customers only to delete them. As I was told by @Anonymous all necessary (i.e. correlated) information was pulled from the correlation ID and entered into the ticket. I was told that they were looking into it and would be contacted, but I was never contacted, hence my follow up here. If we still had a message history, you would be able to review this and confirm for yourself, but again, the message has been deleted. I hope you can understand the concern here.
Sign in to comment