Email address is part of a reserved domain.

William Bowles 20 Reputation points
2025-07-25T13:13:43.1266667+00:00

My wife's email address (--RII ******@hotmail.com) was accidentally deleted by me once I put in an alias email address (--PII ******@outlook.com). Now we cannot recover her old address because it states that her email address is part of a reserved domain. Is there anyway to recover the old email address? This happened less than a week ago.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Answer accepted by question author
Chen1018 13,875 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-07-25T14:00:45.8166667+00:00

Hi William,

I'm Cherrelyn, and I’m here to help.

If your wife's Hotmail address was recently deleted due to alias changes, and you're now getting a message that the address is part of a reserved domain, it's likely still in Microsoft's system under a grace period and hasn't been released for reuse yet. Unfortunately, reserved domain emails (like Hotmail.com) are often protected and cannot be re-registered, even by the original user, after deletion especially if they're flagged as legacy or reserved. Since this occurred less than a week ago, I recommend to signing in with the original account credentials at Outlook.com to see if the account is still recoverable. If that fails, try the account recovery form, using any recent information to validate ownership. If recovery fails again, it’s best to contact Microsoft Support directly and explain that the deletion was accidental and very recent. They may still be able to help restore the account or email alias from the back end if it's within the retention window.

I hope this will help and if you have any question please don't hesitate to reply to this thread.

Warm regards,

Cherrelyn

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Zeki Günay 0 Reputation points
    2026-06-08T19:39:29.7033333+00:00

    I can access my Microsoft account. My old Microsoft-domain email alias disappeared from “Manage how you sign in to Microsoft”. When I try to add it back, I get the “reserved domain” error. I need help with a removed account alias, not password recovery.

    This happened less than 30 days ago. This was not just a temporary or unused address; it was my email address for nearly 30 years. I am deeply upset and honestly shocked that a long-standing Hotmail/Microsoft email address can be lost so easily through an alias/sign-in method change.

    This address has been used across countless services, accounts, personal contacts, business records, and recovery methods over many years. Losing access to it suddenly creates serious practical and security problems for me.

    I respectfully ask Microsoft to review this case carefully and escalate it if necessary. I need to know whether this alias can be restored to my existing Microsoft account, especially since the change happened recently and I still have access to the account itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Francisco Montilla 30,715 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-07-25T13:50:49.4566667+00:00

    Hello William,
    I'm sorry to hear that, but once a Hotmail-style address (@hotmail.com, @live.com, @outlook.com or @msn.com) is removed from a Microsoft account it cannot be added back. Microsoft does not recycle those addresses, so as soon as you deleted your wife's @hotmail.com alias it was permanently blocked from reuse and you'll see the “reserved domain” error if you try to restore or recreate it.

    More info at:

    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/4619774/this-email-is-part-of-a-reserved-domain

    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/4565964/i-accidentally-removed-my-hotmail-alias-i-cant-add

    At this point the only way to receive mail at that name is to continue using the new @outlook.com alias or add a different alias under one of the supported domains. To do that, sign in at https://account.microsoft.com, go to Your Info, then Manage how you sign in to Microsoft, choose Add email, and pick a new Outlook.com address. Once you've added it you can make it your primary alias and update any services (banks, contacts, subscriptions) to point to that new address.

    I realize it's not the answer you hoped for, but you won't be able to recover the original Hotmail address. If you need a close replacement you might choose an @outlook.com alias that matches the old name as closely as possible.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.