Print button grayed out after editing Excel sheet. Changing printers and then changing back fixes it.

Anonymous
2025-05-09T19:01:20+00:00

We have a M365 user that is having trouble with printing from Excel only. We can open a spreadsheet and print normally, but when anything gets edited, it grays out the print button. I can get to the print dialog, but the button to actually print is what is grayed out. The workaround I found is to manually select a different printer in the print dialog, then select the original, default printer again. This allows it to print again, but the error always returns. It seems to be happening with any Excel file. I have tried the same files on other PCs and could not replicate the problem. I tried the online Office repair, but that did not help. Any ideas?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-27T19:10:39+00:00

    I should clarify, does removing the add in remove the option to Print to PDF using Adobe from the File > Print Menu in Excel?

    I know the Microsoft Print to PDF is still available, the customer I am assisting uses the Adobe Print to PDF option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-28T12:46:19+00:00

    Thank you, this one really helped! But the problem is not just with the Adobe plugin, I also had a Winzip plugin for one employee! I had to remove it, only then did everything worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-29T19:17:01+00:00

    Just had a customer with the same issue. Tried some things in the program, reviewed settings, updated default printer. No change. Then I ran the app Office updater and it downloaded / applied the latest update from Microsoft and then opened Excel and problem was now gone. So looks like Microsoft's patch for office now fixes that issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-29T19:37:40+00:00

    Yeah I concur. new office update fixed the issue for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-05-29T20:15:54+00:00

    ---FIX:

    	File > Options > Add-ins > Manage COM Add-ins, click "Go" 
    
    	Clear the check boxes for any enabled COM add-ins 
    
    	Select OK.
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments