Print button grayed out after editing Excel sheet. Changing printers and then changing back fixes it.

Anonymous
2025-05-09T19:01:20+00:00

We have a M365 user that is having trouble with printing from Excel only. We can open a spreadsheet and print normally, but when anything gets edited, it grays out the print button. I can get to the print dialog, but the button to actually print is what is grayed out. The workaround I found is to manually select a different printer in the print dialog, then select the original, default printer again. This allows it to print again, but the error always returns. It seems to be happening with any Excel file. I have tried the same files on other PCs and could not replicate the problem. I tried the online Office repair, but that did not help. Any ideas?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-21T07:12:28+00:00

    Greetings EhronW,

    Have you tried to restart the spooling service, for some printing error this resolution works just fine, and I had similar cases like this and it worked for me.

    Sometimes may rehappen but, at least, not for every print.

    Let me know if this helped.

    Kind regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-21T14:20:06+00:00

    Greetings EhronW,

    Have you tried to restart the spooling service, for some printing error this resolution works just fine, and I had similar cases like this and it worked for me.

    Sometimes may rehappen but, at least, not for every print.

    Yes, we tried that. We did all the troubleshooting steps. As you can see from this thread, it is a widespread issue, not a simple local fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-21T21:31:28+00:00

    Thanks Ehron, I have exactly this problem and using Ctrl-P instead of File->Print solves the problem!! You have saved me mucho frustration and time!!

    THANK YOU!!

    ~ Carine

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-05-23T21:16:36+00:00

    We have a user having the same exact issue, and CTRL+P is a good workaround, but not a long-term solution. Has MS responded to this at all?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments