Print button grayed out after editing Excel sheet. Changing printers and then changing back fixes it.

Anonymous
2025-05-09T19:01:20+00:00

We have a M365 user that is having trouble with printing from Excel only. We can open a spreadsheet and print normally, but when anything gets edited, it grays out the print button. I can get to the print dialog, but the button to actually print is what is grayed out. The workaround I found is to manually select a different printer in the print dialog, then select the original, default printer again. This allows it to print again, but the error always returns. It seems to be happening with any Excel file. I have tried the same files on other PCs and could not replicate the problem. I tried the online Office repair, but that did not help. Any ideas?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-15T13:15:15+00:00

    I have 3 users so far with this issue and I am expecting more in.

    For now I've advised them to use the CTRL+P, or selecting a different printer and then going back to the original, as a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-16T16:27:29+00:00

    We also just had a user having the issue, so far just the one. Ctrl-P does work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-16T18:46:58+00:00

    The same problem under W11Pro 24H2 only with Excel 2024 (2504 18730.20168) ... appeared after KB5058411.

    Ctrl+P is not a solution because some users prefer to print from the menu.

    It's clearly a MS problem !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-19T11:13:25+00:00

    I agree that this is a MS problem, but KB5058411 was released last week and my customers have had this problem for months.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-05-19T19:30:56+00:00

    We have a client who is having the same issue. We were able to confirm the issue is only happening when doing File > Print. Using Control + P or changing the printer to something else and then back both work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments