Print button grayed out after editing Excel sheet. Changing printers and then changing back fixes it.

Anonymous
2025-05-09T19:01:20+00:00

We have a M365 user that is having trouble with printing from Excel only. We can open a spreadsheet and print normally, but when anything gets edited, it grays out the print button. I can get to the print dialog, but the button to actually print is what is grayed out. The workaround I found is to manually select a different printer in the print dialog, then select the original, default printer again. This allows it to print again, but the error always returns. It seems to be happening with any Excel file. I have tried the same files on other PCs and could not replicate the problem. I tried the online Office repair, but that did not help. Any ideas?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-10T17:16:05+00:00

    I have discovered more information about this problem. The issue is only present when printing by going to File, Print. The first time after opening a document when I click on File, Print it will allow me to click the print button, but subsequent times going that route have the print button unclickable. If I use the Ctrl+P shortcut, the print button is clickable every time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-09T20:21:48+00:00

    Yes, when we open a spreadsheet, it will print normally. Something is happening during the editing/printing process that causes the print button to not be selectable on the print dialog afterwards while we still have it open. Selecting a different printer from the print dialog, and then changing back to the original printer will make the button clickable, and it prints correctly. Saving then reopening the sheet will allow printing one time as well, then the issue returns. By "greyed out" (grayed here in the USA) I mean the button is not lit up and can not be clicked. This is on the print dialog that pops up with Ctrl+P or by clicking File, Print.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-09T20:08:12+00:00

    Hello Ehron,

    Thanks for posting in the Microsoft Community.

    Do you mean the first time you open the Excel sheet, you can print normally, but when you update something, you then go back to print, the button will be greyed out?
    How about you saved the change then re-open the sheet, will that make any difference?
    And regarding the error, does that actually mean "grey out"?

    Sincerely, 
    Jeanie-H - MSFT | Microsoft Community Support Specialist.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments