Why my shortcut key for Bold option automatically change from 'Ctrl+B' to 'Ctrl+ N'? (Word for Windows)

Anonymous
2024-12-15T08:43:44+00:00

I'm currently using Microsoft 365 and while using word, my shortcut key for Bold option automatically change from 'Ctrl+B' to 'Ctrl+ N'

I have to change it back to 'Ctrl + B' manually (several times) but it keeps automatically changing to 'Ctrl + N' again and again. It is quite annoying.

I change my shortcut for Bold option back to 'crtl + B' as inserted picture

Please let me know how to set 'Ctrl + B' as a shortcut key for Bold option permamently.

Thanks a lot.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-03T20:55:22+00:00

    Hello,

    Any update on this please? Not sure what other short cuts have been impacted, this seems quite a big issue to not resolve quickly?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-03T22:14:00+00:00

    Hello,

    Any update on this please? Not sure what other short cuts have been impacted, this seems quite a big issue to not resolve quickly?

    I haven't seen any new information regarding this.

    Are you able to use the workaround? Can you recreate the shortcut(s) that you have lost?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-04T08:25:15+00:00

    If you have no personalised shortcuts for styles, macro's, ... You can also hit the reset button (red arrow). My office isn't in English, therefor so I reused the screenshot provided earlier. Please ignore all the purple arrows and marking in the "Customize" dialog box. Simply open it, click reset and perhaps restart word.

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-04T10:32:23+00:00

    I've been trying to do this for several weeks. I have reached the third line of support, which unfortunately, like the second line, works very badly. They regularly forget appointments or call many hours late (despite confirming hours and time zones several times).
    In addition, they informed me that “the bug with shortcuts is not currently recognized by backoofice as a bug and is not being fixed.” If you know of a good method to reach the right people at Micrsofot, please help.

    W.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-04T17:54:09+00:00

    Of course, resetting to the default shortcuts won't help when Microsoft has changed some of the well-known default shortcuts in Word.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments