Why my shortcut key for Bold option automatically change from 'Ctrl+B' to 'Ctrl+ N'? (Word for Windows)

Anonymous
2024-12-15T08:43:44+00:00

I'm currently using Microsoft 365 and while using word, my shortcut key for Bold option automatically change from 'Ctrl+B' to 'Ctrl+ N'

I have to change it back to 'Ctrl + B' manually (several times) but it keeps automatically changing to 'Ctrl + N' again and again. It is quite annoying.

I change my shortcut for Bold option back to 'crtl + B' as inserted picture

Please let me know how to set 'Ctrl + B' as a shortcut key for Bold option permamently.

Thanks a lot.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-02T08:22:51+00:00

    This is absolutely ridiculous. Bloody copilot icons popping up everywhere like Clippy of old, but Microsoft manages to bugger up the simplest of age-old commands like Bold and New?

    Seriously. Shame on you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-29T18:04:42+00:00

    Could you read all conversation? This solution doesn't work. :-(

    W.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-29T18:03:35+00:00

    I did it. Unfortunately they have no solutions (proposed manualy reinstal Office - including registry - and instal it again; after one week issue was back).

    I have been trying:

    1. Removing normal.dotm
    2. Manually change wrong shortucts (or shortucts which I found thai they are wrong) - every day issue is back
    3. Reinstal Office (standard and manualy)

    I know more and more people affected by this issue - including persons with special needs for whom wrong shortcust in Word generate many complications.

    It is interesting that Excel and PowerPoint are not affected. Word and - partialy (only one you are writing a message) – Outlook.

    W.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2024-12-29T16:42:32+00:00

    Also happened for me, and I'm not using an alternative language...

    As part of troubleshooting, exit Word and rename the Normal template.

    However, the quickest workaround would be to recreate the lost shortcuts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-12-29T16:05:17+00:00

    Also happened for me, and I'm not using an alternative language...

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments