How do I deactivate copilot in Word for the Mac?

Anonymous
2025-01-19T08:34:09+00:00

I have problems deactivating the copilot in Word on my MacBook Pro (actually it should be deactivated from PowerPoint and Excel too). I tried to follow tutorials but it seems like i dont have the possibility in my Word settings.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-02-14T22:20:16+00:00

    I want to get rid of Copilot and MS now tells me to go back to an earlier version of Word. If I replace my current version with an earlier version, will I lose any other formatting etc based on the current version? And if/when MS decides to make Copilot optional for Mac users, ho w will I know, except by checking this forum every day?

    You will not lose formatting.

    I do not expect that Microsoft will announce a fix. They are likely to just slip it in (and perhaps back out) without any notice. I suspect they are terribly embarrassed by all the commotion. They thought that everyone would just love this. (I do not think anyone on the design or marketing staff remember Clippy!)

    I would expect it will be out for everyone within two months, but do not know that.

    See also this instructive video:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYVPThx7yss

    Personally, I love the screaming goats. Don't know how anyone can live without them.

    For more on this: See Your Microsoft 365 Subscription Will Cost More Unless You Do This.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T21:21:06+00:00

    You have to be kidding...

    How would you feel if you went out to get in your car and instead of a steering wheel you now had a joystick?

    "no no dont worry its great, you'll love it..."

    Stop forcing upgrades, stop making people work harder to do the same tasks. Your force feeding of features is... guess what... not wanted. STOP

    Frank

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-02-26T23:32:20+00:00

    ">

    You have to be kidding...

    How would you feel if you went out to get in your car and instead of a steering wheel you now had a joystick?

    "no no dont worry its great, you'll love it..."

    Stop forcing upgrades, stop making people work harder to do the same tasks. Your force feeding of features is... guess what... not wanted. STOP

    Frank

    Writing to Zenobia does not get the message to Microsoft.

    Use their Feedback mechanisms, especially the public feedback portal.

    This is a user-to-user support forum. -- You can give feedback TO MICROSOFT designers and decision makers on Microsoft Word or other Microsoft Products using their feedback mechanisms, (not here). (This is a link to directions.)

    See my previous post in this thread with the video link

    .

    Please read all of the posts in this thread. There has been movement since January 19.

    Do you have update 2501 or 2502? If so you likely have a control for it under File > Options > Copilot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-08T16:06:13+00:00

    I went to Copilot but there was no tab for Authoring and Proofing tools.

    I have been an editor and professional writer for over 50 years. Copilot is just an insult.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Bob Jones AKA CyberTaz MVP 437.7K Reputation points
    2025-03-08T16:24:14+00:00

    Authoring & Proofing is a group of Preferences in the main Word Preferences dialog. Copilot is an item in that group.

    Clicking the Copilot icon should produce this preferences pane depending on the specific Version & type of License pertains to the software:

    If you have specific concerns please submit a new message containing all pertinent information including macOS & Office version specs as mentioned above. It would be best to not get tangled up in an existing thread which already has been hijacked a dozen or more times.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments