How do I deactivate copilot in Word for the Mac?

Anonymous
2025-01-19T08:34:09+00:00

I have problems deactivating the copilot in Word on my MacBook Pro (actually it should be deactivated from PowerPoint and Excel too). I tried to follow tutorials but it seems like i dont have the possibility in my Word settings.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Bob Jones AKA CyberTaz MVP 437.7K Reputation points
    2025-02-08T15:33:56+00:00

    Look in Word> Preferences - Copilot to see if you've yet received the checkbox for Enable Copilot preference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-08T15:40:14+00:00

    John, I've reverted back to Microsoft Word 16.89.1 for now. I've heard that Microsoft will eventually provide a way to disable Copilot in Preferences, but I haven't seen it yet. FYI, I'm using the subscription-based Microsoft 365 on my Mac.

    Craig

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-08T15:41:41+00:00

    no sign yet on Word for Mac.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-08T17:07:01+00:00

    I have been able to disable Copilot in Microsoft Word for Mac since January 25. It's very simple to disable. In the main menu go to Word, then Preferences, and under Authoring and Proofing Tools, select Copilot, then disable it. I am running Microsoft Word for Mac 16.93 (25011212).

    I can't answer as to HOW I got this fix. I am a user just like all of you, One day the fix was not there and the next, it was. I don't think there was an update for it...the ability to disable it simply appeared. All I can guess is that the fix from Microsoft is rolling out in pieces. No other app has the ability yet to disable Copilot.

    I HAVE NO ANSWER AS TO HOW I GOT THE FIX. ALL I CAN SAY TO YOU IS JUST TO CONTINUE TO LOOK FOR IT IN WORD PREFERENCES. AGAIN, I AM JUST A USER LIKE ALL THE REST OF YOU.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-02-08T17:18:31+00:00

    Charles, I'm running the same version of Word 16.93. Just restarted it, too. But under Authoring and Proofing, still no Copilot icon/button appears. Any idea why this might be? Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments