How do I deactivate copilot in Word for the Mac?

Anonymous
2025-01-19T08:34:09+00:00

I have problems deactivating the copilot in Word on my MacBook Pro (actually it should be deactivated from PowerPoint and Excel too). I tried to follow tutorials but it seems like i dont have the possibility in my Word settings.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-23T19:35:35+00:00

    @ Kim and David

    This is likely to be fixed in the next update. It was rolled out without the switch in the Windows version, too. After the tremendous negative feedback they quickly released a switch in Word for Windows, but not he other apps. Word for Windows is the most used app. By quickly, I mean within days and ahead of schedule.

    Do use the feedback mechanisms to keep the heat on for the Mac versions. Again, a fix has been promised.

    This is a user-to-user support forum. -- You can give feedback TO MICROSOFT designers and decision makers on Microsoft Word or other Microsoft Products using their feedback mechanisms, (not here). (This is a link to directions.)

    This is a relatively new issue and has been the subject of many posts. I agree that it was a big mistake on Microsoft's part. Please read the suggestions in other questions on this issue. If the thread is marked as answered, read the other posts as well. Some responses are about the Windows version. If they talk about File > Options, they do not apply to the Mac version. Here are some of these threads.

    Again, if something has been marked as an answer, look at all the responses, not just that one. Pay special attention to responses from Bob Jones.

    Recently from Cherry_Z MSFT in this thread.

    ***

    Based on feedback from some users in other language communities, it appears that you can currently turn off Copilot directly in Word for Windows, but other Microsoft 365 apps (such as PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook) don't yet offer this option.

    ***

    However**, Copilot Controll is not currently available for Mac apps.** The Microsoft development team expects to enable it for one or more apps in the next few weeks or so. I'm sharing this with you to let you know that Microsoft values user input and feedback, and that the Microsoft development team has taken note of user issues and is actively working on improvements.

    ***

     

    To view the version history of Office for Mac, go to the following website and scroll down the page where you can choose to find older versions of the installer and click on it to download it. Update history for Office for Mac - Office release notes | Microsoft Learn

    ***

    You can also refer:

    In the meantime, I'd like to share with you that the Microsoft development team has noticed this issue and is gradually rolling out features to allow users to choose whether or not to use Copilot in Office. You can wait until the latest features are implemented before upgrading to use them, thank you for your understanding and patience.

    ***

    The basic advice is to wait for Microsoft to fix it.

    Otherwise, roll back to a previous version.

    A third option is to change your subscription to "classic" Microsoft 365. That involves contacting Microsoft and asking to cancel your subscription and letting them talk you into staying with them but without the IA.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-24T12:41:15+00:00

    I am REALLY REALLY keen to remove Copilot - I DO NOT WANT some AI machine interfering with my writing .... PLEASE ACCELERATE the release of the button to remove it as it is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-24T13:26:36+00:00

    Katy,

    Make sure that you update.

    Latest posts here (earlier this morning) are showing that it is there in the Mac interface.

    Faith Ansley reports:

    Fixed for Mac at last! Simply go to Preferences, click on the CoPilot icon, and disenable it. Relief!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-24T14:02:36+00:00

    Brilliant ! thank you1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-24T18:02:57+00:00

    Charles,

    I had gone back to Word version 16.89 on my Mac to avoid the Copilot issue. When I saw the posts this morning that it had been fixed, I went ahead and updated to 16.93. But I don't see a Copilot button to click in Preferences / Authoring and Proofing Tools. I now have Version 16.93 (25011212) and this is a Microsoft Office 365 Subscription. Any thoughts on why I'm still not able to disable Copilot? I'll return to version 16.89 for now. Thanks.

    Craig

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments