How do I deactivate copilot in Word for the Mac?

Anonymous
2025-01-19T08:34:09+00:00

I have problems deactivating the copilot in Word on my MacBook Pro (actually it should be deactivated from PowerPoint and Excel too). I tried to follow tutorials but it seems like i dont have the possibility in my Word settings.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-22T05:12:11+00:00

    I dunno. I knew what he meant. But even if he wasn't clear, it'd be nice if snark were the second or perhaps third choice for tone, rather than the go-to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-22T17:31:51+00:00

    I have problems deactivating the copilot in Word on my MacBook Pro (actually it should be deactivated from PowerPoint and Excel too). I tried to follow tutorials but it seems like i dont have the possibility in my Word settings.

    I don't have the choices you present on my mac. While it took a bit of time to figure out "Application Menu", but when I did there is no co-pilot listed. In fact, the steps described don't in any way match my options.

    Running Sequoia 15.3

    Macbook Air M3

    Word version Version 16.93 (25011212)

    "Select Application Menu and go to Co-Pilot"

    [I tried to upload a screenshot of what I have, but your system won't accept it- don't know why] Link to screenshot of what I see: Screen.jpg

    When I choose Word from the Application Menu, the options I have are

    About Microsoft Word

    Preferences

    Sign Out...

    Services

    Hide Word

    Hide Others

    Show All [Grayed out)

    Quit Word

    If I choose Preferences (This seems logical though not reflected in the steps provided)

    I get this Screenshot 2025-01-22 at 9.13.56 AM.png which contain a series of tabs (so to speak)

    General

    View

    Ribbon and Toobar

    Edit

    Spelling and Grammar

    AutoCorrect

    Accessibility

    East Asian Languages

    Save

    Print

    Track Changes

    User Information

    Security

    File Locations

    Slow and Disable Add-ins [thought co-pilot checkbox might be here...it wasn't]

    Privacy

    Show Your Pride

    I went through each of those options and no "co-pilot listed". So I am stumped. My issue (for feedback) is this: I do not want to inadvertently use up my precious credits. And I do not want to see these words on a new document: https://1drv.ms/i/c/e1db0ece1c9187a3/EbUjIBpmxBpEmZEo9gwIE7wBVWbTFln3bD2fGnlDV6S5IQ?e=h2hfFU

    So in fairness, I would ask, could you very carefully and step by step, using language that is accurate, tell me how to turn off copilot? I'll start and example for you, please fill in the rest:

    If you are a mac user, go to the Application name just to the right of the black apple logo in the top left corner of your screen. Click on the menu option Word and you will see a drop down menu that shows the following

    About Microsoft Word

    Preferences

    Sign Out...

    Services

    Hide Word

    Hide Others

    Show All [Grayed out)

    Quit Word

    [And so on].

    [The above is an example. Given I don't have those options, I suspect it is buried somewhere else. Much appreciated.]

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-22T19:07:10+00:00

    I have problems deactivating the copilot in Word on my MacBook Pro (actually it should be deactivated from PowerPoint and Excel too). I tried to follow tutorials but it seems like i dont have the possibility in my Word settings.

    I don't have the choices you present on my mac. While it took a bit of time to figure out "Application Menu", but when I did there is no co-pilot listed. In fact, the steps described don't in any way match my options.

    Running Sequoia 15.3

    Macbook Air M3

    Word version Version 16.93 (25011212)

    ***

    So in fairness, I would ask, could you very carefully and step by step, using language that is accurate, tell me how to turn off copilot? I'll start and example for you, please fill in the rest:

    If you are a mac user, go to the Application name just to the right of the black apple logo in the top left corner of your screen. Click on the menu option Word and you will see a drop down menu that shows the following

    About Microsoft Word

    Preferences

    Sign Out...

    Services

    Hide Word

    Hide Others

    Show All [Grayed out)

    Quit Word

    [And so on].

    [The above is an example. Given I don't have those options, I suspect it is buried somewhere else. Much appreciated.]

    You were reading a response about File > Options > Copilot.

    Those are Word for Windows version 2501 instructions. They do not apply to the Mac version.

    Read through this thread.

    There is no simple way to do this on the Mac.

    Microsoft has promised that they are coming out with one soon.

    Otherwise, others have described a way to get Microsoft to change your account settings to "classic." This is not simple and will take time. I know how frustrating this is, but you may want to simply wait for Microsoft to fix their blunder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-23T09:12:43+00:00

    Yes as has been said, the 'Application Menu' instructions to untick CoPilot are not available on a Mac yet. In other words it was rolled out without necessary options for a Mac only for Windows. I am stuck with this annoyance too. I don't have time to uninstall and reinstall, disable auto-updates etc.

    Unprofessional of Microsoft and I hope they update the software soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-23T13:04:36+00:00

    Because of this, I decided to configure my firewall so MS apps don't have access to a network connection. While this doesn't eliminate the annoyance of the poor update practices of Microsoft and the already present copilot, it will minimize my future problems resulting from their half baked update practices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments