How do I deactivate copilot in Word for the Mac?

Anonymous
2025-01-19T08:34:09+00:00

I have problems deactivating the copilot in Word on my MacBook Pro (actually it should be deactivated from PowerPoint and Excel too). I tried to follow tutorials but it seems like i dont have the possibility in my Word settings.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-19T12:14:15+00:00

    Dear CECG,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community.

    We understand that you want to disable Copilot in Word

    Before I respond to you in detail, I need to explain to you:

    The product team enabled Copilot for Office users worldwide starting January 16, 2025. However, I understand that this may be a bigger obstacle for users like you who need a more professional and cleaner environment. You are not alone.

    Currently, there is an option in Word for Windows to disable Copilot with a single click, and we are still collecting relevant temporary workarounds on Mac.

    In your application (such as Word), select the application menu and go to Copilot > Authoring and Proofing Tools > Preferences > Clear the Enable Copilot checkbox > Close and restart the application.

    However, due to the particularity of the Mac system and the detection of Office, it may not be detected correctly. If you do not see the relevant button, it means that this button has not been pushed to your Office version. Please wait patiently for the development team to release the update.

    At the same time, we have another temporary solution, which is to roll back the Office version to 16.89. This version of Office does not yet include Copilot, and everything will work as you expected before.

    Uninstall Office for Mac - Microsoft Support

    Office installation history:

    Update history for Office for Mac - Office release notes | Microsoft Learn

    To prevent Microsoft AutoUpdater (MAU) from automatically updating Office and restoring Copilot, temporarily uninstall MAU to avoid this.

    • Open an Office application (e.g. Word), click the Help menu > Check for Updates to open MAU first.
    • Right-click MAU in the Dock, then click Options > Show in Finder.
    • Right-click the MAU file, then click Move to Trash to uninstall it. (Note: You need to quit MAU before you can uninstall it.

    Please consider sending feedback to the development team. Windows users have received a button to disable Copilot first, Mac users should not be ignored. The more feedback, the more urgently this issue will land on the development team's desk: Microsoft 365 app​ · Community

    I will continue to monitor this issue, and the development team should release a patch soon. If the button to disable Copilot is updated, I will notify you here so that you can resume Office updates to get the latest security patches.

    Best Regards, 

    Zenobia.Z | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-19T13:08:40+00:00

    You probably have been reading tutorials about Word for Windows...

    If you are using the Word desktop application on the Mac, see this thread for a comprehensive evaluation of your options:

    How do I turn off Copilot on my Mac?

    This is not the place to tell the people who did this to you what you think, though. They will not see it here.

    This is a user-to-user support forum. -- You can give feedback TO MICROSOFT designers and decision makers on Microsoft Word or other Microsoft Products using their feedback mechanisms, (not here). (This is a link to directions.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-20T19:26:25+00:00

    I am an Apple User that has used MS Word, MS Powerpoint and MS Excel across all of my devices. I do not want copilot active on any of my applications that I use for development. I am very frustrated that it took me nearly four hours before I found this letter. I wish this letter would be pushed to all Apple Subscription Users. If a workaround cannot be located for Mac (apple Products) then I will be forced to change platforms entirely.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-21T03:48:08+00:00

    This from Cherry.Z - MSFT in this thread.

    However**, Copilot Control is not currently available for Mac apps.** The Microsoft development team expects to enable it for one or more apps in the next few weeks or so. I'm sharing this with you to let you know that Microsoft values user input and feedback, and that the Microsoft development team has taken note of user issues and is actively working on improvements.

    ***

    In the meantime, I'd like to share with you that the Microsoft development team has noticed this issue and is gradually rolling out features to allow users to choose whether or not to use Copilot in Office. ***

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-21T08:53:19+00:00

    There is no checkbox for Copilot on Word >Preferences !!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments