How do I deactivate copilot in Word for the Mac?

Anonymous
2025-01-19T08:34:09+00:00

I have problems deactivating the copilot in Word on my MacBook Pro (actually it should be deactivated from PowerPoint and Excel too). I tried to follow tutorials but it seems like i dont have the possibility in my Word settings.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-06T21:36:44+00:00

    Zenobia.Z,

    Thanks so much for explaining this. But can you send a note up the chain that it is incredibly annoying and frustrating for Word to be automatically pushed in a form that doesn't allow me to disable this annoying feature? Every doc I have now says first thing that I should consider using copilot, when I don't want to, and can't turn it off?!

    At least for me, it's a race for time for Word to fix this and let me go away, or I'll migrate to some other app that isn't so obnoxious. Thanks for letting the higher-ups know to get on this, as you are able!

    NE

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-24T18:37:03+00:00

    What version corrects this? I am running Excel 16.93.1 at the moment. I just ran Microsoft Autoupdate and there is nothing to download? May I ask what version you're running and, dare I ask, how to fix this?

    OK

    1. This is a Word forum.
    2. You are asking about Excel on the Mac.
    3. You can't fix it, now, short of rolling back your apps or changing your subscription. I think both of those are overkill because they are promising a fix for the other applications.

    Microsoft has fixed it, as of this morning, I think, in the Word application on the Mac.

    They did it not long before that for Word in Windows.

    They are promising to get it to the other applications soon. I believe them!

    My opinion carries no more weight than does yours.

    Please, please, please... send feedback to the people who decide this stuff.

    This is a user-to-user support forum. -- You can give feedback TO MICROSOFT designers and decision makers on Microsoft Word or other Microsoft Products using their feedback mechanisms, (not here). (This is a link to directions.)

    This fix adding the switch in Word in both the Windows and Mac desktops has been extremely quick and I suspect in direct response to overwhelming feedback from users. Keep up the pressure.

    They do not respond directly to feedback ordinarily, they just make changes.

    Usually there is no notice about the changes, at least not to ordinary users.

    You can see things in the change logs, but many important things are not mentioned in there.

    For future reference, when asking Mac questions crucial information is the application version and the Mac OS name and version.

    How to Ask Questions In this Forum (to get the best and quickest answers)

    Although not strictly necessary, it will get you better answers, also, if you put "Mac" or your Mac OS in the title or heading for your question.

    P.S. I do not have a Mac.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-24T18:19:00+00:00

    What version corrects this? I am running Excel 16.93.1 at the moment. I just ran Microsoft Autoupdate and there is nothing to download? May I ask what version you're running and, dare I ask, how to fix this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-24T18:02:57+00:00

    Charles,

    I had gone back to Word version 16.89 on my Mac to avoid the Copilot issue. When I saw the posts this morning that it had been fixed, I went ahead and updated to 16.93. But I don't see a Copilot button to click in Preferences / Authoring and Proofing Tools. I now have Version 16.93 (25011212) and this is a Microsoft Office 365 Subscription. Any thoughts on why I'm still not able to disable Copilot? I'll return to version 16.89 for now. Thanks.

    Craig

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-24T14:02:36+00:00

    Brilliant ! thank you1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments