How do I deactivate copilot in Word for the Mac?

Anonymous
2025-01-19T08:34:09+00:00

I have problems deactivating the copilot in Word on my MacBook Pro (actually it should be deactivated from PowerPoint and Excel too). I tried to follow tutorials but it seems like i dont have the possibility in my Word settings.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-03-12T17:06:48+00:00

    Microsoft came out with an update today that adds Copilot to Word Preferences / Authoring and Proofing Tools. Clicking on the Copilot icon allow you to disable Copilot - finally! This is for Version 16.95 (25030928).

    Thank you.

    This tool was initially released about a month ago and apparently is being released in a phased rollout.

    If it has not reached someone yet, it will.

    This is in Word for the Mac desktop application. Other apps are in development.

    I am locking this thread.

    Feel free to read all the posts here, they may be of help.

    If you are reading this and need help, please ask a new question.

    How to Ask Questions In this Forum (to get the best and quickest answers)

    This thread is locked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-12T16:29:24+00:00

    Microsoft came out with an update today that adds Copilot to Word Preferences / Authoring and Proofing Tools. Clicking on the Copilot icon allow you to disable Copilot - finally! This is for Version 16.95 (25030928).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-10T23:08:50+00:00

    Add me to the folks with a MAC who want to disable copilot and have the icon GONE! and still receive updates. I would also like to disable the window that says Microsoft SharePoint - it is really annoying to the point where I may need to end my subscription - this is not an improvement in my user experience

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Bob Jones AKA CyberTaz MVP 437.7K Reputation points
    2025-03-08T16:24:14+00:00

    Authoring & Proofing is a group of Preferences in the main Word Preferences dialog. Copilot is an item in that group.

    Clicking the Copilot icon should produce this preferences pane depending on the specific Version & type of License pertains to the software:

    If you have specific concerns please submit a new message containing all pertinent information including macOS & Office version specs as mentioned above. It would be best to not get tangled up in an existing thread which already has been hijacked a dozen or more times.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-03-08T16:06:13+00:00

    I went to Copilot but there was no tab for Authoring and Proofing tools.

    I have been an editor and professional writer for over 50 years. Copilot is just an insult.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments